Does anybody read these?

Monday, November 07, 2005

More on music...

When I first heard clips from Kenny Chesney's Be As You Are: Songs from an Old Blue Chair CD, I was instantly hooked on "Key Lime Pie." It's a cute song, but I literally fell off my chair when I heard it the first time because of the chorus:

Not too tart, not too sweet
My baby loves to watch me eat
Her key lime pie
Her key lime pie

Of course, the way the words are written out (mostly likely intentionally) makes it look more innocent, because when Kenny sings it, it's more like "My baby loves to watch me eat her" and then the key lime pie's on the next line.

I thought about it for a second, and I wasn't sure that Nashville was ready for a song about oral sex. It is, after all, still Nashville.

About that same time a new group called Sugarland came out with their new song "Baby Girl." It's a song about struggling to make it in Nashville. Here's the second verse. Reminds me of some stories I've heard...

Black jack, blue sky: big town full of little white lies.
Well, everybody's your friend: you can never be sure.
They'll promise fancy cars an' diamond rings, an' all sorts of shiny things,
But, girl, you'll remember what your knees are for.

Now, I know what girls' knees seem to be for in that type of situation, but a few people told me they thought it was a reference to praying. I guess in both of these songs, it's all about what's implied.

One thing's for sure: This isn't the Nashville that didn't want the last verse of "The Thunder Rolls" on Garth Brooks' CD, now is it?

She runs back down the hallway, through the bedroom door.
She reaches for the pistol hidden in the dresser drawer.
Tells the lady in the mirror, "He won't do this again!".
Tonight'll be the last time she'll wonder where he's been...