Does anybody read these?

Monday, November 07, 2005

Happy Day in PR Land

For years, many of us in the public relations profession have pushed for a system that would require some type of credentialing or licensing for those who wanted to practice public relations. I have always thought it was a good idea. We have accreditation through the Public Relations Society of America, but not everyone is a PRSA member. I just think that a lot of folks don't realize what PR entails, how it works or what it takes to be good at your job. Now that they've really made the certification processes for other professions more stringent, I think it might be time to require some sort of accountability in PR. No one really knows what we do anymore, and writing has clearly taken a backseat to other tasks. My, how things have changed since the days of Ivy Lee and Ed Bernays.

A while back, I mentioned how I could not believe that Tom Cruise was going on media tours to promote his movies and going off on reporters across the world about Scientology, making it all about him and less about the movie. I said if I were a backer of his films I'd be very pissed if he took the media time he got to go off on a tangent about his whack-job religion. Well, I guess something had to give, because he fired his sister today as his publicist. She'll still spout off about Scientology on Tom's behalf, but all of his professional interests will have a different publicist. I'm not surprised because after some of his recent escapades I'm not sure I'd work with her if I were an assignment editor.

If celebrities are cleaning house in the PR department, I have a few suggestions I'd like to make.