Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I think my living will's OK

I'm not sure if I've mentioned the issues with my living will before. You see, I don't want any type of artificial means of prolonging my life if I am either terminally ill or in a persistant vegetative state. And this, according to the Catholic Church is bad. They say it's euthanasia, and euthanasia is bad. Remember Terri Schiavo?

Anyhow, I don't want to be a burden if I have no hope for meaningful chance of recovery. My brother, who is a nurse and my medical power of attorney, knows my wishes. If there would be any doubt, could one of y'all direct someone here.

I've been worried that I'd earn myself a one-way ticket to the bad place with this attitude, being that the church said it was so bad and all.

That is, until I read this little snippet, from the Associated Press, published today.

ROME - A doctor alleged Wednesday that Pope John Paul II violated Catholic teaching against euthanasia by refusing medical care that would have kept him alive longer — a charge immediately dismissed by Vatican officials.

In an article in the Italian journal Micromega, Dr. Lina Pavanelli, an anaesthesiologist, questioned why John Paul was only outfitted with a nasal feeding tube on March 30, 2005, three days before he died. She said he clearly was in need of artificial nutrition well before then.

3 comment(s):

I dont ususally talk religion or politics but i just have to say....

no "church" has the power to save or damn a soul..period.

We're save by GRACE through FAITH - not of ourselves.......end of story.

that's all I wanted to say. thanks for letting me share:-)

going back into hiding now....

Lee

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/28/2007 2:31 PM  

Glad you got that moral relief from your concern. I don't think asking not to be kept around artificially is euthanasia, since you are not really choosing death, the body is - in such a case. Its not the same as suicide!

I am surprised you heard this choice of living as long as God naturally supports the functioning of the body in this way. You may find other RC church leaders would agree with Pope John Paul II's decision completely, doctrinally etc.

By Blogger Salar37_Shushan, at 10/01/2007 2:57 PM  

I don't think you will be going to hell by requesting not to be kept alive artificially.

By Blogger Daisy, at 10/02/2007 8:07 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home