Does anybody read these?

Thursday, November 15, 2012

It's all my fault

Back in the olden days, when people were on MySpace (pre-Facebook, I guess), I used to get drunk and communicate with people late at night on MySpace. It was easier to just send a line to your favorite celebrities, or at least B- to D-list celebrities. (The A-listers have people to do that, you know.)

I might've drunk a half bottle of rum, seen Kenny Chesney's "You Save Me" video and sent a message late at night to the actress who played his girlfriend, not only in the video but in real life as well. I don't remember the note verbatim, but the gist of it was that she seriously deserved an Academy Award to play his girlfriend in that video and pull it off, because, well, you know...

What brings all this up, anyhow? Well, that would be an email that I just got from something called Taylor Nation. I get these emails because of one of my late-night, drunken MySpace messages. You see, back in the day, I saw this young high school girl sing a song about Tim McGraw downtown, and I thought it was cute, so I decided to be her friend on MySpace. Well, little did I know that this young girl was about to be the biggest thing since sliced bread. But, she's also very famous for actually building her fan base by using the Internet to connect with them, which brings me to the next part of this story.

Back in the day, young Taylor was up for a best new artist award or something. It was fan-voted, and she sent out a message to all her MySpace peeps late at night from her tour bus in who-knows-where.

You see where this is going, right?

I was not only up to get the message, but I was drunk on MySpace AGAIN. So I voted for whatever it was, and then I sent her a message to let her know that I voted for her. No idea what I said to her or what she said back, but I do remember she signed her note, "XOXO, Tay-tay," and ever since I have gotten emails for the Taylor Nation. She used to send them herself, but now she has people. Of course, she probably also has people who wipe her ass with hundred-dollar bills, but that's a different story.

So, as I read today's note from Taylor Nation (which I can't bring myself to unsubscribe, even though I've sobered up and blame Taylor for about 85 percent of what is wrong with country music today), I realized that all the fame she has is partly my fault. If I'd never been drinking and voted for her for best new artist in the middle of the night all those years ago, who knows what the world might be like today.

I kind of miss MySpace. In many ways, it was a lot more fun and definitely a lot more drama-filled than Facebook. People were so passive-aggressive there. It entertained me. Facebook is like it's legit older cousin.

And, speaking of The Elf, I saw he had a new flavor with him at this year's CMAs. I wonder if she has a MySpace page, because I am positive she is an actress.


Song of the day: "Welcome to the Fishbowl" by ol' KC.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home