Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Where's the holiday cheer?!

OK, I am really busy today so this will be a quick one, but I had to blog about what happened today because it ticked me off, and that made me want to tell others.

So, the other day we got this idea to spread holiday cheer by going caroling at the offices of our supporters around town. It is also a good idea to remind people that we are around and appreciate their support. A little more unique than the Christmas card and/or appeal letter folks normally get from nonprofits this year. So, we took a basket of candy canes and our song sheets and headed out, and we went from place to place and were well-received. I did have a little run-in with a woman over suggesting that she could take two candy canes for her kids. I'm not sure if she didn't celebrate Christmas, had her kids on no-carb or thought I put razor blades in them, but she was a little nastier than she had to be.

However, I'm kind of glad I had the candy cane experience, because I think it made me a little more equipped for the highlight of our afternoon. We stopped by this organization that is a supporter of ours and that we have supported for years. In fact, that's how both our founder and our current boss got involved with our organization and both have been on their board of directors. This organization, which is very, very tempting to name, is a religious organization. They are supposed to be Christians. Everyone who works there has always been very nice. So all of us were surprised with our run-in with a gal I will call "The Mean Elf." It is probably best that I don't know her name because I just might tell people.

We go into the offices and at first it looks like no one is there. So, finally this gal comes out and she seems nice enough. My, how appearances are deceving. We start singing and she flips. Flips. Goes off on us. Tells us that she "can't handle Christmas songs." Very angrily. And then runs away. As she's running off, we say "OK, well we just wanted to wish you a happy holiday." We left very confused. A few folks were very upset by this angry display and wanted to quit. Ultimately, we ended up calling it a day even though my boss encouraged us not to let her ruin our holidays. People just didn't have the energy to carol anymore. And I think they were a little afraid of folks' reactions.

I don't know that lady's story. I don't know why she was so violently opposed to Christmas carols. Maybe she had trauma at the holidays or something. I don't know. But there was no reason to be nasty to everyone.

I guess I just wanted to vent. Part of me is really upset because of WHERE she was working. It's supposed to be a religious ministry. I don't know what her capacity is, but this a place where you'd think religious holidays would be celebrated. I guess I am mostly wondering what happens when folks who go there for ministering mention the holidays. Because that'd be a major issue.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home