Does anybody read these?

Monday, December 19, 2005

Traditional Christmas Tunes...

So, Helen's comments to my "made-up" Christmas song post reminded me that I never talked about traditional songs. I love them all, really. Especially the Marian ones. I love any song about Mary. I love all the "church" songs. I am SOOOO excited for Saturday night when the choir will sing all the carols before Mass. We'll sing O Sanctissima again (still reeling from Immaculate Conception debacle) and Stainless is the Maiden plus a couple other Polish carols, because my Grandmother always sang those every year. I am not sure if my cousin Greg, who lives in Istanbul, will be home for the holidays, but it is beautiful to hear him and my cousin Paula sing. They sound just like Grandma and her brother Uncle Leo, who are both in heaven. Ave Maria. Silent Night. We Three Kings. O Holy Night. Love them all.

My favorite "traditional" Christmas song is a new take on it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE David Bowie and Bing Crosby's version of Little Drummer Boy. That is the last song Bing recorded before he died. It is an odd combo, but absolutely beautiful.

Speaking of Little Drummer Boy, does anyone know what the Italian name of that song is?

5 comment(s):

Didn't someone tell me it was Tamburino (sp?)?

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/19/2005 12:07 PM  

It's Il Tamburino. Very good. Wonder who would've told you something like that?!?

And bravo on the spelling...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/19/2005 12:12 PM  

If you like songs about Mary, you might like this link:www.andiesisle.com/Mary.html

By Blogger Sherri & Mark, at 12/19/2005 2:24 PM  

LJ - check out 'Mary, Did You Know?' IT'S MY ALL-TIME FAVE Christmas song. I sing it, every year, on Christmas Eve at church. Let me know if you haven't heard it, and I'll send it to you. Merry Christmas, with love! xxoo

By Blogger TanteToma, at 12/21/2005 9:45 AM  

Toma, Get OUT of my head!!!! Love, love, love that song!!!!

By Blogger Laura, at 12/21/2005 2:38 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home