Does anybody read these?

Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's another video song of the day...

Hopefully I won't get sued for posting this. I highly doubt that I would, but I thought that if there were people out there who still hadn't seen it, they needed to. And if you don't have Johnny Cash's American recordings, go get them. I grew up on Johnny Cash. I remember when I was young my favorite Johnny Cash song was "One Piece at a Time" because it reminded me of my dad working at General Motors. He got a kick out of it when I asked him if Johnny Cash worked at his factory. Hey, it was a logical question. It was the only place they made Cadillacs. So the song was written (not by Johnny Cash, by the way) about my dad's factory, but it was long before he worked there, and as far as I know, Johnny Cash never worked there.

I've always loved "Folsom Prison Blues," but mostly because my brother is quite fond of going around telling people: "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die." And sometimes they believe him. Dude, it's a Johnny Cash song. Not to contradict myself, because I said yesterday that the last line of the 2nd verse of "You Oughta Know" was the best line in a song ever, but that line from "Folsom" is right up there. If it wouldn't take me 900 years, maybe I'd make a list of all my favorite song lines. It would also be 800 pages long!

Anyhow, I have a lot of "favorite" Johnny Cash songs. I rediscovered him after I first heard him singing U2 covers on American III. I also got back on my classic country kick and started listening to way more Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette and George Jones after that, and of course, The Highwaymen.

This song was on American IV. It's one of the best covers ever. The video is amazing. This was a lot of lead-in for it, but I have a very special place in my heart for The Man In Black. I never got to meet him, but I know without a doubt that he was a very kind, loving, talented and amazing person. And I'm sure someday I'll meet him in Heaven. We won't have to sing this song there...

I'm not giving any other commentary. It speaks for itself, and today it speaks to me.

1 comment(s):

My husband used to spend summers at his great-aunt Anne's lake house that was on Kentucky Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Their lake house was right next door to the Cash's lake house. He tells stories of boating and such with Johnny and family. . . I have asked him to blog about it, maybe he'll share some faun stories.

By Blogger Sheri, at 2/08/2007 12:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home