Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Song of the day (so damn cool it gets its own post!)

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morisette.

Earlier this week I talked about how real and gritty songs can be and how great some songwriters are. Alanis is one of those songwriters.

Rumor has it that this song was written about Dave Coulier, the actor from Full House who had dated Alanis at some point. Dave is from Detroit, and I'd have to say that while neither of them will confirm it, it's pretty much conventional wisdom in the Motor City.

I'm not sure that this isn't the best verse ever in a song:

You seem very well, things look peaceful
I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know
Did you forget about me Mr. Duplicity
I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner
It was a slap on the face how quickly I was replaced
Are you thinking of me when you fuck her?

3 comment(s):

Have you ever heard the last track on that CD? If you let it play for an extra minute or two a "ghost" track comes up. It is awesome but a little creepy. And yes I used to be a HUGE fan of hers!

By Blogger one4JC, at 2/08/2007 2:05 PM  

I have, but I'm not remembering it right now. Guess I'm digging through my car to find my copy of Jagged Little Pill and listening!
(iTunes hates hidden tracks. Bastards.)

By Blogger Laura, at 2/08/2007 2:17 PM  

I posted it on my blog for you...well and anybody else who wants to hear it.

By Blogger one4JC, at 2/11/2007 7:09 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home