Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A quickie...

I have to get back to work, but I wanted to give a few updates while I was thinking about them.

I am still working on my story at work. I turned it in, and my boss liked it but she wanted me to add some more sources. Of course, those sources haven't been calling me back. I'm still scrambling a little, and now I'm actually stalking two of our members to get quotes. My boss is still aggravated because she said I should've interviewed them months ago. Of course, I couldn't interview them months ago, because she didn't suggest I talk to them until Friday. In fact, the one person we'd actually made a conscious decision not to interview because they'd recently done a feature story on her facility before I came. Oh well, it'll all work out, I hope. We're already out of space for our magazine as it is, so I'm not quite sure where we'll put these extra quotes. I'll try to stalk them again later, I guess.

I know I fucked up on that one. I just dusted myself off, and I keep going. I'm even trying to get a head-start on some other stuff while I wait. It'll all work out.

So, as many of you know, I ventured back on over to KennyLand a few weeks ago. Considering that all the Nashville-based KennyLand folks were invited to KC's birthday party and I had a blast that night, I'd say it was well worth the price of admission. However, I noticed something in KennyLand that I felt like I should bring up. Yes, for the second time in a little over a week, KennyLand was resposible for bringing me yet another moment of clarity. See, it's not all bad.

There's this person in KennyLand that I used to be friends with. I wouldn't have taken a bullet for her or anything, but I considered her to be a friend of sorts. Anyhow, today I was over in KennyLand and someone asked a completely innocent and totally valid question. I was scrolling down to answer and be helpful (sometimes I let my good nature get the best of me, but not very often!), and I noticed that several people had done a very good job of informing this person and addressing his or her concerns.

Well, except this person I used to be friends with. She was an asshole. A total jerk. Her reply was terse and condescending. Sometimes I'll be snarky with the folks in KennyLand -- especially the ones who know better -- but she was just a dick about it. The person had like 5 posts, how the fuck were they supposed to know, oh wise and wonderful wizard?

My curiosity got the best of me, and I clicked on her username where I could pick the option to see her other posts. And when I did, it was more of the same. She did this in all kinds of threads about everything. It seemed like the only time she ever posted anything was to exert her "superiority" on everyone else. I thought about calling her out, but I didn't want to stir up the drama. I thought about complaining to a moderator, but that's pretty low and tacky too. So, I just let it be. She's not worth it anyhow.

With every post I read by her, I felt more and more vindicated in my decision to distance myself from her. I am sitting here thinking now if she was that big of a jerk when I was friends with her and I didn't notice. Or maybe she's just an asshole to people she's not friends with. Regardless, I was reminded of a song on my new Angela Hacker CD I bought today: "Losing you ain't a total loss."

Sometimes we're sad when someone leaves our life, and rightly so. But the more we think about it, the more we realize that it's all going to be OK, and maybe even a little better than it was before.

Oh, that reminds me. It wasn't two; I've had three moments of clarity in the last week or so. Because I realized that I'd be OK when I went to Jackson two weekends ago and found the Perkins all by myself. I don't need a man to have pie. (Well, most kinds, anyhow...)

I still can't erase that text message he sent the day he left, though. Maybe someday... I need to, but it's all I've got left, you know? It's like proof that someone, somewhere, at some point cared enough to miss me.

Well, maybe someday on that, too.

Song of the day: "Johnny Cash" by Jason Aldean. We're hoping to go on adventures this weekend, and if we do, I'm sure we'll be hearing enough Johnny Cash that this will need to be our theme song.

I'll leave you with some famous last words, overheard last night: "Just stop by Legends for one drink on your way home."

Thanks to Glen, Marc, TJ and Todd for stealing two hours of sleep from me. And singing "Livin' Our Love Song." Twice. I guess I have to thank Timmy for that, too!


1 comment(s):

I can only guess who that person was and yes she was that big of a dick even then. Remind me sometime and I will tell you a story about my first glimpses into KennyLand.

By Blogger rosalie, at 4/07/2007 9:35 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home