Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Is this for real?

Lately, it seems like the Catholic Church is picking some really bizarre battles to fight. I won't get into all of that right now, but I couldn't resist saying something about this. If I ever had time to get to church on Sunday and actually put at least one of the four -- yes, I said "four" -- envelopes I get for each week in the collection basket, I'm sure I'd be feeling like I wasn't getting my money's worth.

Did you see this: Vatican's 10 Commandments for drivers?

Did we really need the Vatican to write a pastoral care letter telling us to pray the Rosary while we drive? Most Catholics I know do this a lot, not because the other drivers are all wackos, but just because it's a long trip and you have plenty of time to think.

I thought the part about having church services at truck stops was a bit much, if I may say so. Kind of makes you wonder: If you can have mass at a Pilot station, why is it such a big deal to get married on a beach? Ponder that one...

Anyhow, I know that some of you didn't click on the article and you're dying to see the Vatican's "Ten Commandments" (No shit; that's what they called them.) of driving.

I also like to call it "common sense for Christians with cars." We really didn't need some bishop to waste his time coming up with this. Really.

The "Drivers' Ten Commandments," as listed by the document, are:

1. You shall not kill.
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.
5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.
6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.
7. Support the families of accident victims.
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
10. Feel responsible toward others.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home