Does anybody read these?

Thursday, October 20, 2005

This was clever!

I am finding all kinds of new blogs because so many fun people are posting over at Harriet Miers's site. I saw this and it was absolutely too funny not to post.

Apparently the marketing geniuses at Anheuser-Busch tried to market one of my favorite games, beer pong, to a large-scale audience (read: under-age drinkers) by calling it Bud Pong and providing all the necessary equipment (cups, tables, ping-pong balls -- branded I'm sure) to beer distributors across America. I guess this has been going on since July, but I've never seen it at my local watering hole. We're still playing in the garage here. Well, time's up for Bud Pong because -- this is a shocker -- people are playing it with beer (including, aparently, under-age drinkers). Apparently Anheuser-Busch wanted us to play with WATER. Who knew? How exactly do you play a drinking game (and a damn good one at that!) with WATER? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Apparently the tavern-goers thought so. So Anheuser-Busch thought maybe it wasn't their best idea to give folks the ammo they needed for binge drinking and discontinued the program. I'm trying to decide if their marketing folks were stupid enough to think people'd really play beer pong with water or if they thought we were all stupid enough to think they didn't know it was really beer pong.

Personally I'm a little sad that I didn't hear about it until it was over. I love beer pong. I'll bet places had tourneys. And Bud Light would be much better than the Milwaukee's Beast my partner picked out last time I played.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home