Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Tom Cruise is a whack job

I remember a few months ago I thought Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes were so cute. Why not? They are cute people. Loved Tom in Jerry Maguire and Top Gun. Loved Katie in Dawson's Creek and the new Batman movie. They seemed happy. Boy how things have changed...

Maybe they are happy. No one but Tom and Katie know. They are getting married. There's a baby on the way. I don't know what brought Katie to the party, but Tom's nuts.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of Scientology. I pretty much think it's a bunch of hooey and that L. Ron Hubbard was just looking for a way to bilk celebrities out of their money. I'm not sure why Tom Cruise is now chief recruiter and who exactly he's supposed to recruit, but it's gone from being cute to being downright frightening. And I hope Tom isn't unemployed soon, but if I were a movie producer and I hired Tom to be in my film and instead of promoting it he fought with Matt Lauer, his ass would never get another job with my company. Now, I'm not a big Keith Urban fan, but I can see why Nicole Kidman prefers him over Tom. You can have a good haircut, but if you're bonkers it doesn't really matter.

Anyhoo, I have no clue what Scientology believes. Oh wait, apparently it believes nothing. "In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or faith." Just what I'm looking for in a religion! They also apparently believe humans are immortal. (How's that work?) Well, maybe that's why they're not too worried about people offing themselves from mental illness.

Recently, I somehow stumbled upon two very interesting web sites chronicling the downfall of Tom Cruise and his crazy new role as Scientology poster boy. I guess I could've included them in my post on funny things on the Internet, but I'm not sure I think Tom's funny anymore. In fact, he scares me a little. What I think is absolutely the most disturbing thing is that the Church of Scientology is trying to shut these sites down. I guess it's just a scare tactic they employ because most people are frightened by their big lawyers, but it makes me like them even less.

I don't know if I believe in stopping Scientology, like the owner of Scientomogy.com, but perhaps they shouldn't be considered a religion for tax purposes after poking around there. The other web site I found was Scientomogy.info. It has a lot of interesting things on Tom's behavior lately, including the infamous Oprah and Today show appearances.

I believe that with any religious cult, information is the key to avoiding it. A few years ago I was recruited by a fringe sect of Christianity that most experts consider to be a cult. (I didn't join; I realized they were lunatics and told them to leave me alone.) I had always planned to compile info about this group on a web site so no one else went down that road, but I've never gotten around to it. Well, if the Scientomogy (that cracks me up!) guys can, maybe I can too. Or at least blog about it one day. I'll mull it over. I had pretty much blocked out all the skeery memories, but maybe I can do some scrounging to see what I can come up with.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home