Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

CM...what?

I've decided that I'm going to pretend there were no CMA Awards this year. Nope. They didn't happen. Keith who? I had to wait until I stopped saying the f-word every other word out of my mouth to sit down and type this. I said it once to one person who probably didn't appreciate it, but other than that I'm making great progress.

Let's start out with the good things. Kenny and the boys looked great during Livin' in Fast Forward. Miss Gretchen did a good job singing and I'm so happy she won Female Vocalist of the Year. It didn't look like she combed her hair, but I still love her. And it's about time that Dierks Bentley won the Horizon Award. I love LeeAnn Womack's new CD, so even though I'm not positive it was the best CD to come out this year, I am glad that she won.

Now a few things that really rubbed me the wrong way. I am beyond sick of Brooks & Dunn winning Vocal Duo of the Year. They aren't really that great. Let's share the love. How sad is it that Rascal Flatts not only won Vocal Group but is actually the best vocal group. I like them, but I don't know if I'd call them country. Hell, Joe Don actually said that in their speech!!!

Of course it goes without saying that all my disappointment culminated at the end of the evening. I'll be the first to admit that I'd hardly call myself a Keith Urban fan. I tolerate him. I don't shut the radio off when they play his songs, but I have all his CDs (I bought them trying to learn to love him) and I rarely listen to them. I'm never in the mood to listen to Urban. I saw him live once, and didn't even watch his whole set. He just doesn't do it for me. I know lots of folks like him and that's fine, but I wasn't entertained by him when I saw him. I know folks are. I know he almost sells out mid-sized arenas in secondary markets all over the U.S. He interacts with his fans and plays the hell out of his guitar. But I just don't think he holds a candle to Kenny Chesney, or Brad Paisley for that matter, both of whom were passed over on the Entertainer of the Year Award. I think that Keith has a place in Nashville and is loved, but I just don't think he's paid his dues yet. Nashville is very much about paying dues. That's why it took Kenny twelve years to win last year. I just don't get it. And I wouldn't be me if I didn't blog about it.

I know that it's to each his own and awards voting is very subjective, but I am still sad and disappointed. I just have this feeling that this was paybacks on Kenny for his little "sideshow" earlier this year. And I know that he hugged Keith and is proud of Keith, but he looked a bit disappointed too. He had an amazing year. He sold out every arena and stadium he performed in, some for 2 or 3 nights. He rocked and his show is something else. He sold more tickets than anyone else. He is a true entertainer, and I really think he deserved the award. Brad Paisley even said he was voting for Kenny!

Well, I've vented all I can on this topic. I said to one of my friends that I was going to pretend the CMAs never happened, and I think that's what I'll do. It's a sad day for Kenny fans...