Does anybody read these?

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Song of the day...

The first time I heard this song, I was reminded of one of my dearest friends. Every once in a while you hear a song on the radio, and you think "This right here could be my life in a song." When I heard this one I called her right away and she told me she had just heard it and related to it and was going to get the CD. In a lot of ways, I feel bad that this song reminds me of her, but it has a good ending. She's on the right track; she's gonna be OK. I promise. And if she's not, we'll grab some Ben & Jerry's, a Meg Ryan DVD and a bottle of wine and deal with it like girlfriends do.

She Didn't Have Time -- Terri Clark

He said: "Goodbye" from the edge of the porch,
Like she'd been some casual friend.
He said: "You're better off without me, I'm not what you need,"
Like her Momma had said about him.
He started the car, pulled out of the drive,
Didn't waste any time lookin' back.
She watched him go, thinkin': "Even a stranger,
Would show more compassion than that."

    She could've cried but she didn't have time:
    She had a baby to feed, a pink blanket to find.
    To rock their little one to sleep.
    She could've laid in bed for hours,
    Given misery the power,
    But she didn't have time.

She got a sitter, an' she got a job,
'Cause she had a promise to keep.
Her day was a factory an' evenin' survival,
An' night was exhaustion and sleep.
Sometimes she felt life was passin' her by,
And watchin' was all she could do.
Her friends said: "You gotta get outta the house,
"An' maybe you'll meet someone new."

    She could've tried but she didn't have time:
    She had a five-year-old to feed,
    She had ballet class, piano lessons a t-ball little league.
    She could've laid awake for hours,
    Given lonely nights the power,
    But she didn't have the time.

      Not time: where would she find the time to trust a man again?
      Not time: for that flat tire, a crowded parking lot and then,
      Not time but, yes, have coffee with the man who got her tired fixed.
      She was thinkin': "Gosh, he's handsome,"
      When he asked: "Do you have kids."

    She could've lied but she didnt have time.
    All she said was: "She's five."
    He said: "I saw the car seat I love kids. Does she have your eyes?"
    And they sat and talked for hours,
    Givin' destiny it's power,
    She could've been afraid to fall in love that night,
    But she didn't have time.

    She could've been afraid to fall in love that night,
    But she didn't have time.

P.S. Did anyone see Terri's CMT special about her wedding? I really enjoyed it. Best of luck to her and Greg as they start their lives together!

4 comment(s):

I love this song Laura and the cd is great. I caught the special this weekend and I am so happy for Terri. Who would think that you would find love with someone that close and that you least expected.

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/04/2005 11:33 PM  

Just proof that folks stumble on love when they least expect it, Rosalie...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/04/2005 11:39 PM  

yeah, yeah, yeah we will see

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/04/2005 11:41 PM  

I thought y'all were supposed to be encouraging my whimsy here. Let's go with it for now, OK?

By Blogger Laura, at 12/04/2005 11:51 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home