Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Boiling Point...

Everyone has a boiling point, and at some point they reach it and it ain't pretty.

My friends, I do believe that I have reached mine.

As you all know, when I got my full-time job I tried to quit at the Land of Misfit Toys. At the time, there was this cute boy there who I was absolutely head-over-heels in like with and he told me no, so I didn't leave. When he left we were in the throes of the Christmas season and it seemed rude to leave. And besides, I was spying for formerly-mentioned oh-so-adorable boy in case a job here opened up so he could come back and we could live happily ever after. Then the new year came and there was nothing to do, so it wasn't much more than a blip. Now I'm getting hours but that's fine because I could use some extra cash with everything coming up in the next few months.

I was so busy trying to date my boss, spying and running the service desk at Christmas that I'd forgotten about the super-asshole special events coordinator.

But now he's back, and I can't take it anymore. I don't think I have enough disposable income to not have a part-time job, so I'm going to start looking elsewhere. The manager of Bath & Body Works asked me today if I'd like to work there.

You know what? I think I would. I think I'd rather work anywhere else on earth.

So, last Monday, special events asshole sends an e-mail that we're having a conference call on Tuesday. He never procrastinates. Tuesday was my only day off, so I pretty much said "Fuck no." I touched base with super-events asshole (That's a long name. Let's give him a clever pseudonym like Dear Abby does. We'll call him "John" from here in, OK?) and I told him I couldn't be on the call. I asked him to keep me up to speed, and he assured me that he'd be touching base soon.

Here we are one week later. It's pretty much mid-March for planning purposes. "John" finally e-mails me today. First message: Call me at blah blah number. Dude, I'm not going to explain one more fucking time that I am not ever talking to you on my day off. You made me cry at a Disney Princess Tea Party, and you are simply not someone I talk to in my leisure time. So, maybe I'll call him tomorrow.

But maybe not. Because his subsequent e-mails indicated that I have two mandatory events to plan before the end of the month. Not little events I can pull off quickly like that lame-ass birthday party last month, but big, giant events. Events that require extensive planning. Extensive planning requires time, and I am all out of that shit. So, his little events are so not going to happen. Not this weekend, probably not this month, and hopefully never.

You see, he makes my blood boil. He is an antagonistic moron, and I'm pretty sure he's trying to sabotage me. Of course, what he's forgotten is that I don't really care if he sabotages me, because I don't have any professional aspirations where the Land of Misfit Toys is concerned. In fact, I should've just quit, because since October my aspirations there have not really been much more detailed than trying to get in a certain person's pants. Of course, that didn't work out either.

I'm supposed to be lowering my blood pressure. I cannot get stressed out by a part-time job. I just want to shoot the items with the little gun. Beep. Beep. Beep. Have a nice day! That's it.

I can't deal with pulling an event out of my ass in three days because some asshole never gave me the information I needed. That's a waste of everyone's time. I just can't deal with him.

Everything's changed there. Yeah, they're always short-staffed and I'm a good worker, but I can go somewhere else and have a job that I leave there at the end of the day. That'd rock. When I worked at K-mart, no one e-mailed me at my home and expected me to work on my only day off. Of course, we didn't have e-mail back then. I just want something mindless. I like being a cashier. I like being at the service desk. The rest of the bullshit is simply that: bullshit.

Things are so different than they were last time I dealt with him. The reason I was there then is gone. That has become a complete and total non-issue, unfortunately. And with that, I am no longer spying for him, not that I think he'd come here if they'd build him his own fucking store at this point.

I have to decrease my stress level, and this is a perfect place to start. I'm not going to stress about it right now, but I'm going to quietly start looking elsewhere for something where I can just ring shit up and put it in a plastic bag. Maybe a place where I'd use the employee discount.

Because it's no fun when a stupid asshole makes you cry if there isn't a cute boy with strong arms to let you cry on his shoulder. And I just don't have that anymore. I was so worried about abandoning him that I stayed in a shitty job that I didn't want, and who's the one that's all alone in the end.

Maybe someday I'll appreciate the irony...

4 comment(s):

I doubt it but maybe. I'm sorry you had such a bad day off.

By Blogger rosalie, at 3/07/2007 5:33 AM  

I know that John, ahem -- I mean "John," is not worth my time and I'm not supposed to be stressed out. I just realized in the last few hours that I was fine as long as I had someone to back me up, and I don't have that anymore. I wish it were just about a job as far as he's concerned (I'm not talking about "John"), but I feel like he's abandoned me in life too.

And that sucks.

By Blogger Laura, at 3/07/2007 9:20 AM  

"John" is certainly not worth the stress or tears. Neither was my "John" so I got my ass outta there 3 1/2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Ah well...you know the story.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2007 12:03 PM  

The thing is: "John" is not really my boss. He's actually not in the corporate hierarchy at all. I just don't know how to deal with him because he is a horse's ass.

Is your guy really named John? Oh wait, that's totally a pseudonym.

By Blogger Laura, at 3/07/2007 12:47 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home