Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reality bites.

So, I'm back in the real world. I am swamped at work. Seriously, I am simultaneously writing two stories and proofing a project I finished up before I left. Professionally, however, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I'm not so sure. I spend every free minute I have obsessed with this GM bailout situation. Because I am sitting here realizing that at 32 years old, there is a very good possibility that I will have to move home and take care of my parents, who are about to not have an income. That's what's going to happen here, folks. If this bailout doesn't go through, GM will file for bankruptcy, and they won't be obligated to their creditors. Unfortunately, their largest debt is their employee benefits program. Of course, I haven't quite figured out how I'd pay the bills if I did go home. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Nevermind that there's no way in hell I could ever find a job that I could support three people on. That's why I don't have kids.

And, if you're sitting at home thinking that it won't affect you, you're wrong. Our country will be in big trouble if the auto industry collapses. There's a youtube video that I can't embed here, but I recommend that you go to www.gmfactsandfiction.com and watch it.

I was told today that only people connected with the auto industry care about the bailout. Maybe this helps put a human face on it for you, because something's got to give. I don't know that I've ever been so scared before in my life. I'm just not sure what we'll do if my dad's pension goes away...

2 comment(s):

You should try living right outside detroit! I told Carlos that im pretty sure if the auto industry falls apart here they are going to force us all out and sell the land to canada to make some money. I wouldnt be opposed to that because I hate Michigan but good God there will be nothing left here. Michigans unemployment is already higher than the rest of the country, i think the auto makers going out of business will boost us to about 50%! Carlos told me yesterday at least he is working and he said "honey, you dont mind living simple do you? I can take care of us but we will be living simple." Its crazy!

By Blogger Jamie, at 11/19/2008 5:32 PM  

The worry must be tearing you apart. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

By Blogger Char by the Sea, at 11/19/2008 9:26 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home