Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Writer's block

I get e-mails from Writer's Digest magazine because I am trying to become a legitimate writer, slowly but surely. And today I don't feel like a writer, because I have a massive case of writer's block.

They say the best way to get over writer's block is to just start writing. I have a cube-shaped book that Toma gave me called "The Writer's Block." This book is a whole bunch of writing prompts to get you inspired and back to writing.

My Writer's Digest e-mails have writing prompts, too. And since I can't figure out anything to say about the Youth Fellowship Group's visit to one of our nursing homes, I'm going to use the prompt and see what comes from that. Already, I am feeling my creative juices start to flow. I'll be writing about the winner of the nursing home beauty pageant in no time!

Writing prompt: If you could spend your birthday doing anything you wanted, what would it be and why? (Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.)

I wake up to the sounds of roosters and the vision of the sun rising over Cruz Bay. I’m not sure who made the coffee, but I can smell it. Mmm…Kiss of the Jumbie, my favorite flavor from St. John Spice.

I head into the kitchen and grab a mug left by a tourist from many trips ago. I grab my daily fix of joe and head out to the deck to watch the ships cruise by.

This is my morning ritual on St. John, the closest place to heaven that I have ever been.

As I sit in the Caribbean sun, it is tempting to ponder the answers to all of life’s questions. However, that would be too much work in this lazy island haven. So instead, I decide what beach I will go to and where I will pick up my lunch.

Since it’s my birthday, we will go to Cinnamon Bay, which is my favorite beach on St. John even though I have to schlep all my beach gear through the campground. As for lunch, I make the executive decision that we will pack our lunch in the cooler and then stop for happy hour on our way back to our villa.

Someone will need to go to Baked in the Sun to get my birthday cake. And they’d better hope they ordered chocolate. The mango filling is always tasty. It sounds odd, mango and chocolate, but it’s absolutely delicious. But then again, everything’s delicious with an amazing view.

We journey through town to the beach, and, as always, I have about three heart attacks on North Shore Road as we make our way to Cinnamon. I always think I’ll get used to the driving, but when it’s only one week a year, you always seem to forget what it’s like to go around a blind curve, on a hill, with a water-hauling truck coming at you. At least he remembered to beep his horn this time to warn us.

The beautiful blue waters of Cinnamon Bay are calling as we trudge through the campground toward the beach. The thought briefly enters my mind that it’d be fun to stay here sometime, but then I remember the lovely villa with its infinity-edged pool that’s waiting for me. We take our lawn chairs, beach bags, coolers and pool noodles and set up shop for the day. I pour a glass of some sort of fruity rum concoction, grab my chick-lit novel and turn on my iPod.

Yes, this is as close to heaven as we get on earth.

After a day of floating in the ocean and napping on the beach, we stop by Cruz Bay for happy hour. Its off to The Beach Bar for a bushwacker.

It’s amazing how a chocolatey, rummy treat, shared with your dearest friends in paradise, can make you forget you’re another year older.

1 comment(s):

that post and the picture of Trunk Bay, now I really want to go. a guy from work offered to be our luggage carrier if he could join us in paradise! LOL!

By Blogger rosalie, at 6/03/2009 8:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home