Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I've got your back.

So, last night (or this morning, really) I had a dream.

I had a dream that Jennifer Granholm, the former Governor of Michigan and all-around great gal, was president of the United States.

Alas, this was only a dream because she was born in Canada. However, the events of this dream reminded me what we, as Americans, need to do right now in our country.

In this dream, we were all still struggling financially, similar to the America of today. (Hell, it was my dream, and maybe in my dreams she becomes president instead of Obama, not just after him, like I previously thought.) We were at an event, which was in a big city, I'm going to guess Detroit, and people were begging this mythical President Granholm to help them. They had no jobs, they were sick and hungry without access to affordable healthcare and food.

Finally, as she walked by me, I said:
"You have to help us. Just push it through if you have to. Don't worry about consequences. We've got your back."

In this dream, President Granholm goes home, helps her kids with their homework and then goes on to tackle America's problems one by one, steamrolling anyone who didn't want Americans to be prosperous.

People were calling the White House telling them that the President had to do something about the state of the country, and if she did the right thing, we would not let her fail. They did the same thing with their Members of Congress.

Finally, our government started to get things done. Our elected officials realized that we, the voters, are the ultimate decisionmakers, and listened to us more and big money less.

And while I realize this was a dream, probably even a fantasy, I think we need to do this. I think we need to call/email/tweet our representatives and our president and tell them "If you make the right decisions and work hard to get America back on track, we've got your back." And for those who don't, we need to not have their backs. We need to vote and we need to be loud. After all, we elected these people to represent us and we need jobs, food and affordable housing and health care.

It's time to tell politicians that they need to stop worrying about the people who write the big checks like the Koch Brothers and start worrying about the people who pull the levers. The Koch Brothers might have a lot of money, but they only get one vote (in one Congressional district, I might add) just like the rest of us.

Call your elected officials. Tell them to get things done, and if they do that we have their backs.

And, if they don't, be loud so that people know that when it's time to head to the polls.

This is our America. Let's treat it that way.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home