Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Motor City Madness

I'm not the world's biggest sports fan. I rarely watch ESPN. I love Keith Olbermann more for his political banter than his baseball observations. I don't always know the names of cities' sports teams, let alone their players. I don't eat, breathe or sleep sports.

But I'm a Detroiter, and sports have always been what united Detroiters. And, for the most part, our sports teams have always given us a lot to cheer about.

Right now, the Detroit Lions are one of two undefeated teams in the NFL. And yes, I know it's still early in the season. But for a team who rarely wins five games in a season, being 5-0 is a major accomplishment.

The Tigers are in the American League Championship Series right now. I'm hoping in a few short games they will be headed to the World Series.

And hockey season just started, and the Red Wings never disappoint.

(Of course, basketball is still locked out, so that sucks. But maybe eventually the Pistons will join the fray.)

In a side note, the Michigan Wolverines football team is also currently undefeated. That may be more impressive than the Lions.

Last night, I cried watching the baseball game. I don't normally cry watching sports, but I cried last night. It wasn't because the game was particularly moving, it was because I was overwhelmed thinking about what these sports victories mean to Detroit.

Detroit's had a tough run of luck over the last few years. The unemployment rate is higher there than anywhere else in America. People's cars are worth more than their homes. The city and state are pretty much broke.

There's not a lot to cheer about in Detroit these days.

To me, and most Detroiters, the Tigers' and the Lions' victories mean more than just winning games. They represent a city coming back. A city that isn't giving up even when the rest of America is telling us we should. Imagine if the Lions had given up when they were left for dead. Or, for that matter, imagine if General Motors had.

Detroit has faced many obstacles in its 300+ years as a city. It's always been like a phoenix, rising from the ashes.

Maybe to rest of America it's just football or baseball, but to us it's all about not giving up. Detroit's a city that you may leave, but it never leaves you. It's always home, and it's always there for you. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always should be. I think of my brothers (along with Eminem, Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker) with their Old English "Ds" tattooed on their arms. I think about the way I crank the radio up everytime a song by Bob Seger or Stevie Wonder comes on.

I miss home. I pray everyday that things will get better for all of my friends and family that I left behind. A lot of times, I hate myself for leaving, but I do love Nashville and my life here as much as I loved my life there. (Even though Nashville really needs an MLB team.)

Things are getting better. There's still a long row to hoe, but GM and Chrysler are making money again. And even for those who are still looking for work or even maybe have given up, they are getting pleasure from watching the Tigers kick some ass.

Whether we bring home the pennant or not, Detroiters are winners, and the rest of the country shouldn't write us off. We'll be back. We always come back.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home