Does anybody read these?

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ding-dong, the witch is dead!

If you know me, you know why I said that. If you don't know me, read People magazine. She's not really dead; she's just left my life. She plays a good singleton. Good luck with that.

Serendipity: Discovering something by accident while investigating something quite different. Kismet. Destiny. Fate. Serendipity was a movie a few years ago starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. Basically the premise is that two people meet in New York City and they have a wonderful evening. At the end of the night the woman, Sara, decides they should let fate take its course. If they are meant to be together, they will be. The movies the twists and turns of that journey. It's a cute film. I guess I've thought about that a lot lately because my life has been filled with bizarre coincidences, interesting accidents and a whole lot of blind faith and belief in destiny lately. And I'm beginning to think if it all works out and your dreams really start to come true, that you are the happiest girl in the world. That's how I'm starting to feel anyhow. And it's fun to put all the puzzle pieces together. I just wonder what's next. I'm sure it'll be something great.

Today I got to play a grown-up at the old alma mater. I went back to the new student welcome at my journalism school. I represented our alumni society and I got to give a little speech and was interviewed for the alumni newsletter. I enjoyed mingling with the students, even though I flapped my jaws too long and all the good refreshments were gone by the time I got to the catering tent! I also got the cutest t-shirt today. It says "You can't spell Journalism without OU." Honestly, it might be my favorite shirt. I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to my education. It's very cool that I had the privilege to go to one of the top schools in the country for my field. It's exciting to welcome a new crop of even brighter first-year students into the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism family. It just keeps getting better and better.

Last, but not least. It's time for the song of the day. Arlington by Trace Adkins is an absolutely moving, amazing song. Having worked with veterans for a few years and meeting some fascinating men and women who put their asses on the line for the U S of A, this song really gets to me. I had heard there was an online petition on Trace's web site to keep radio stations playing the song. I guess some people were upset by it. It's war folks. It's not pretty. But at least you're just listening on the radio. Anyhow, I'd intended to post a link to that petition, but it seems to be gone. Maybe folks came to their senses. I hear it a lot on the radio. But of course, the hillfolk are pretty pro-military. It made me proud that my grandfather was a veteran. God bless the men and women of our Armed Forces and all of the veterans who served before them. And keep in your prayers 14 more Marines from Ohio who were killed in Iraq today.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home