Does anybody read these?

Sunday, September 11, 2005

What did we learn at Church this week?

"This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you." -- John 15: 12-14, New American Bible

Most folks of my generation, especially a lot of my peers from Catholic school, don't seem to connect with Church anymore. Especially not the single folks. Everyone wants to go to Church when they're about to get married (assuming that the decide to get married in the Church) or when they have little ones who need baptized. Which is good if they keep coming to Mass as a family after that.

I'm not like that. I went through the stage where I didn't see the point or just got "too busy" to go to Church. But in college, I met these great women in Kappa Phi, an interdemoninational organization for college women (think "sorority" with no house and less bad connotations). Anyhow, I've met many lifelong friends there and remain active as an alumna to this day. OK, sidetracked there, but my point is that after Kappa Phi, I started to see the point in Church again. I'm very active in my parish here. I sing in the choir, I help with the high school group and I teach the pre-K through 1st grade CCD class. I try not to miss Church. In fact, I surprised a friend when I hunted a church down in another town on a Saturday night so that I could go to Kenny Chesney's last concert of the year, which was on a Sunday.

This is my faith. If I'm blessed to have children, it will be their faith. I am not sure how I'll pay for 16 years of Catholic school for a few kids, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. (I'm such an optimist.)

So, I went to Church today. I told you last week that the readings and homily really applied to me. Well, this week was no different. Maybe even more so than last week.

Today's readings:
First Reading: Sirach 27:30--28:7
Responsorial Psalm: Psalms 103:1-2, 3-4, 9-10, 11-12
Second Reading: Romans 14:7-9
Gospel: Matthew 18:21-35

Basically, it reminded me that the sinner clings to anger and does not forgive people for their past sins. We are reminded to forgive as many times as we are offended. We are to overlook people's faults. And we are to pray that we do not sin against others and to heal their hearts. Ultimately, it is God who forgives our sins. We are put on earth at God's mercy. We live here for Him. Jesus died for us so that we might live. In exchange he commands us to love everyone as He loves us. Holding anger and resentment is not living up to that command. All I can do is put it in God's hands. I am done with it here on Earth. God bless them and heal their hearts. I lit my candle after Mass again this week.

This is really deep and a little "churchy." It's also the last word on the subject that's been prevalent in my life lately. There's no point in dwelling. It's time to heal and move on. And pray.

Many thanks to all of my insane friends who have listened to me. I couldn't have gotten through everything without having a good group of friends who cared about my problems and letting me cry on their shoulders. You are amazing people and I love you very much. I'm gonna shush about this now. And I want y'all to remind me of what I said this morning from now on when this continues to hurt me, OK?

I'm off to a Longaberger party and then my cousin's 4th birthday. It should be fun. This morning at church he said (he's 4, remember?) "No one better sing that song for my birthday because I HATE that." When I get back, we'll talk about the First Amendment Project fundraiser, the song of the day, and whatever else crazy stuff ends up in my head before I sit down at the laptop again.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home