Does anybody read these?

Saturday, September 10, 2005

It's College Football Season

We'll start with last night's fun, fun time. My alma mater, Ohio University met the University of Pittsburgh on the gridiron last night. The Friday night game was the first-ever nationally televised football game for OU. When I arrived in on campus 11 years ago to attend the nationally ranked E.W. Scripps School of Journalism (one of the top five journalism schools in the country), our football team was also nationally ranked: as the second-worst school in Division I. That fall Peyton Manning also went to college, and I followed the Tennessee Volunteers because it was painful to watch Ohio football. I had some good times in Vols Orange singing "Rocky Top," but there were a few times I wish I'd gone to a "football school." I love college football. Of course, I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to receive the education that I did.

A few months ago, Frank Solich arrived in Athens to coach the Bobcats in football. I never followed Nebraska, but I know that Coach Solich did a great job for them and it was apparently a major coup for him to end up in Athens. Everyone has been so excited about the possibility that he might be the coach to revitalize a program that's been ailing for many years. So, last night we went to the game, which was on ESPN 2. When we arrived we got some Ohio thunder sticks and a rally towel so we'd look pretty on TV. For the first time in all my years (including countless games before I was an OU student), Peden Stadium was filled. The game was sold out. And the Bobcats showed up to play. It was the most fun I've had in a LOOONNNNGGG time. And after a nail-biter of a game, the Bobcats won 16-10 in overtime. It's looking like it will be great year for football fans.

Today I spent my entire day in training sessions to teach Religious Ed. at church. Sitting at this beautiful retreat house reading scriptures and chatting with nuns and other Sunday school teachers, it was hard to not fill like God was among us. I learned a lot and it really helped me with everything I've been dealing with lately. I have realized that I can't do anything to change people's hearts except pray, so that's what I've been doing. But I have moments where I'm still upset and disappointed that people can treat you one way to your face and a very different way to your back. And that feeling resurfaced when I arrived home to have some comments relayed to me that were unfair and, frankly, defaming and libelous. I don't care if someone wants to be my friend or not, but I guess it sucks that they would feel the urge to lie about me to other people because I've taken the high road and haven't said a word. Well, I've written this, but I didn't come out and say "(Insert name) is wacko and has serious issues." In fact, despite the fact that people are seeing a completely different version of reality and made tactless personal attacks that were pretty much the last straw, I just dropped it. Because contrary to what you might hear, I am not a mean and vindictive person. I want nothing but the best for my former friends. I'm just not ever giving them the opportunity to break my heart again.

Luckily, I have other friends that I am much better friends with and have been friends with much longer who remind me that I am loved when shit like this is said. It's been a very long week, and I'm very glad that I have an excellent support system. True friends who are there when someone's in need. From my friend Karen, whom I've known for 10 years and love like a sister; to my college roommate and a co-worker, along with a few women who haven't known me nearly as long but have always been here when I needed them. And it goes both ways. I helped a friend find the courage within to deal with a painful divorce. I was there when another's house caught on fire. That's how it is with good friends. You drop everything for them, and when you need them, they come and help you. And, of course, it helps when you hear from the person you really need to hear from the most.

And, of course, I also have the consolation of knowing that karma is a bitch, too.

OK, off that depressing topic and on to the song of the day: "Need to be next to you" by Sara Evans (from her Restless CD). I seriously need to compile a CD of baby-making music, and that song is going to end up on there. I'll compile a list for a future blog. Of course, I still need to find someone to test the CD out on, too. Although the "short list" is significantly shorter these days.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home