Does anybody read these?

Monday, October 31, 2005

Concannon's Bakery -- Muncie, Ind.

When a chocaholic finds a new guilty pleasure, they always feel the urge to tell anyone who'll listen. Luckily, this one is 200 miles from home, so I can't indulge too often.

There's a line on Saturday morning at Concannon's Bakery in Muncie. According to this article, they start lining up around 5:30 a.m. Is it worth it? Oh, you bet it is. If for nothing else, but the BEST BROWNIE I'VE EVER EATEN!!!!!

This brownie costs $1 and it's a pretty good size brownie. It has chocolate frosting, and it's fudgy but it's not sort of hard and crunchy like on some bakery brownies (I think that happens when you cook the frosting too long), it's very creamy and smooth. And then, in the middle of the brownie, right on top of the rich chocolate frosting is a big dollop of buttercream frosting. Oh...my...goodness. Just when you thought the brownie couldn't get any better...wow, that's a brownie. I've decided that buttercream frosting makes EVERYTHING better.

I'm still laughing at the girl who rang up my order who told me it might be a little "too chocolatey." Amy and I laughed at her, because she didn't realize that there's no such thing as too chocolatey in my world. And it wasn't. It was rich, but the perfect indulgent treat. An excellent comfort food.

So, if you're ever in Muncie, Ind., and looking for a sweet treat, stop by Concannon's. If you can find a parking spot, it's worth the wait in line. I hear that all their baked goods are pretty good, but I can only vouch for the brownie. And I have a feeling I'll be talking about it for a while!

1 comment(s):

Laura,

I am from the Muncie area and Concannon's is a local icon. What is really good is the Salt Rising Bread, their Cinnamon bread and the crispy cookie. I now live in Texas and when every I get to Indiana, I try and stop by Concannon's to get many loaves of Salt Rising Bread and their Cinnamon Bread to take back to Texas with me. Last year, my sisters and I made a special trip from Northern Indiana to Muncie to get Concannon's, but to my dismay, they were closed for the week!! If I can't get by there during my vacation, my son gets real disappointed with me. Fortunately, one of my mother's friends was able to send me some of the bread later.
Keep writing!! Love reading your stories!
From a fellow ramble writer!
Nancy McSorley

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2008 10:13 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home