Does anybody read these?

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Halloween in Athens...

It's just about that time of year. If Athens is the Harvard on the Hocking (River), then Halloween is the Mardi Gras of the Midwest. Every year on the Saturday closest to Halloween, tens of thousands of partiers from all over converge on Athens to attend the festivities. What exactly are the festivities? Well, the main thoroughfare through campus, Court Street is closed down. There are some bands playing. Everyone who lives off-campus throws some sort of par-tay. And the booze? Well, the booze flows like water ALL FREAKING DAY.

I've only been to one Halloween celebration. I was on campus for three others, but I was an RA which meant I had no more excitement than eating chili and caramel apples in the office while filling out LOADS of paperwork. The one year that I lived off-campus and didn't work for Res Life, my roommates and I threw a huge shindig. We had friends come from other colleges. Made lots of food. Ate jello shots shaped like pumpkins and ghosts. Told ghost stories (also popular in very haunted Athens). And drank. Heavily. I remember going to every bar that had no line or cover charge and then going to an after-hours party in my friend's basement. Fun, fun times.

This year, I thought about going, but I got a better offer. My friend Amy, along with her two kids and my little buddies -- Cassie and Cammeron -- are all having birthdays. So I'm off to Indiana, where my bedroom is all made up and waiting for me. Any ideas on gifts for a 7 year old and a 9 year old? I really know nothing about kids these days. (Why do I always sound 800 years old when I say that?!?)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home