Does anybody read these?

Monday, November 21, 2005

Postcards on the edge...

(First of all, apologies to Carrie Fisher for the play on words from her book title.)

I recently told you all about how I love postcards. Postcards are great. I got hooked on postcards when I went to Europe in high school. Mme. Thompson, the teacher who sponsored and chaperoned our trip told us to always buy at least one postcard from our favorite cities/attractions on the trip. This was for two reasons. 1) You will have something go wrong with some of the film you take and you may not get back to that place and you won't have a photo to jar your memory. And 2) You don't want to spend your whole vacation looking in the lens of a camera.

To this day if there is something I really love on a trip, I buy a postcard just to be safe. Sometimes something's so beautiful my pictures can't do it justice. And even with the digital something might look OK on the screen and not so much when you download it. And I really want to enjoy each moment as it happens and worry less about the camera.

I also ask folks to send me postcards when they are on trips. I know I just sent a handful out to friends back home when I went to California.

I have a friend getting ready to go on a trip, and I asked her for a postcard. And she replied by telling me she was taking her laptop and she'd check in. I'm guilty of that too. I'll log on and send a picture from the trip via e-mail. The postcard is becoming a fading novelty.

That's what this article I read in the paper is all about. The author talks about how we have all this technology and we can do neat things with it on a trip, but we're sacrificing the postcard to do it. I loved this article. It reflected what I felt when I was told that someone would check in via email instead. I love the instant gratification of other media (most times the author beats the postcard home), but I think we've lost a lot of our personality without them.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home