Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The ongoing saga that is my laptop...

The hard drive is all erased, and my data are all saved. However, my laptop is still acting weird. I KNOW it has no viruses or spyware. It's essentially brand new and naked again. But it's still not right.

I am not sure if it's the hard drive or the fan. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner running and still seems to bog down and get all flummoxed. The fan doesn't seem to make noise and it doesn't look like it's running. Could it be like a car? Would it overheat and then crack a cylinder head, so to speak? I don't know. But the supergeek did return my call so I'll see what he thinks. I think more time on the phone with my friends in India. Seems like the fan would like to run and can't? Maybe? All I know about laptops is: Turn on and work anywhere!!! But this thing is making some skeery noises.

In other warranty news, my car is A-OK. The defective tail lamp recall is fixed and that WAS what caused the cruise to turn itself off every time I changed lanes. Yay! However they did find hundreds of dollars worth of stuff they'd like to fix for me.

3 comment(s):

It is a PC. If the processor overheats then it would be slow and unstable, right? I haven't heard any noise coming from the fan region lately, so I'm thinking we might have a winner.

Now what do I do? I'm suspecting I might just need a new machine if it's done all those bad things...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/08/2005 8:25 AM  

It's a compaq. And they recalled LOTS of laptops with overheating issues, but allegedly mine wasn't one of them...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/08/2005 9:46 AM  

Well, I've got another 6 weeks for HP's warranty and then at least a year on Circuit City's extended warranty (not sure exactly how that works -- must re-read fine print) so I guess I'll just tell them it seems I need a new machine. I thought maybe the hard drive was just going bad, but it sounds much worse...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/08/2005 10:03 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home