Does anybody read these?

Friday, December 09, 2005

Waiting it out...

This is my first winter in Southern Ohio when I have a job where I HAVE to drive to work to get there. And I'm not sure if I'll get there today or not. I am going to call at 9 a.m. to see how many people HAVE made it and what's going on. I wouldn't normally worry, but you see, I live at the top of this big hill that has a creek at the bottom. For some reason I think the first minute or so of my commute will be the worst part. And if not, well that's scary to think about. My mom doesn't want me to leave until they've plowed the roads. The main highway that I can see (from the top of the giant hill) looks clear so I'm not sure what she's meaning. They won't ever come clean our road, I don't think... And it's coming down pretty hard again right now. Frankly, I'm more worried about getting trapped in. I brought plenty to keep me busy from work if I want to work at home today. BUT we're not sure if folks will show up for our holiday open house. We told them if school was cancelled it was cancelled, but we're not sure everyone knows. That's what I'll find out when I call. If it's cancelled, I'm not leaving this house today. (And maybe not my pjs...)

All I know is that we were out in this when it started last night. I am a skeptic about snowstorms after all those years in Detroit where they tell us we're getting 12 inches of snow and you get all excited and then it never comes and the next morning all the reporters are talking about the "storm that never was." Of course in Detroit, you're pretty much expected to drive in all kinds of craziness to get to work. It was a little easier when I worked with the paralyzed veterans; they don't really like to get out in their cars when the weather is bad...

But it was scary last night. Our 40 minute ride there was an 1:20 on the way back. If we went faster than 25 we slid all over the road. There was one hill I didn't think we'd make it up, but we did. Getting down it was equally exciting. I just went to bed planning not to go anywhere today after that. However, I am thinking that I am going to end up going in. I am a little worried about driving in this. Last winter we had one bad day, but my neighbor had 4-wheel drive and I rode with her. She went to a new job and I'm not on her way anymore, so I'm on my own to get there if I'm going.

5 comment(s):

I wish I were home right now in my pj's. The desk is getting worse and there is no end in sight. I will be on the phone most of today so not much chance of getting things done and then of course Monday will be worse. The best day I can see starting to find my desk again is probably Wednesday at the earliest. That is unless someone else gives me something else to do before then. The good part about it is my office is private and I can just shut the door so no one else has to view the disaster which has become my work space. So much for being a a person who loves things neat and clean.

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/09/2005 12:52 PM  

Wish you weren't getting overwhelmed with work. Boo Todd! But I can't help you with the cleaning; "neat and clean" is not a phrase to EVER be used to describe my desk...

By Blogger Laura, at 12/09/2005 12:59 PM  

It used to be for me until this week that is. Just haven't a clue as to what has happened in the last week.

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/09/2005 1:09 PM  

Ummmm...we've gone over this before. Your give a damn is busted. Not sure if there's anything to fix it, but the rum helps.

By Blogger Laura, at 12/09/2005 1:17 PM  

May have to find me a very LARGE bottle to see if it cures it even just a little bit. Boss just told me to be prepared for a Christmas dinner/party on the 22nd. That should be interesting. Dinner and drinks, hhmmmm.

By Blogger rosalie, at 12/09/2005 1:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home