Does anybody read these?

Saturday, January 07, 2006

2005 Word of the Year

Well, the results are in. The American Dialect Society, an organization of linguists, has picked its top new words of 2005. As a wordsmith, I was pretty impressed and I have to say that the only ones I've actually used are "podcast" (although I'm slow and never used it until 2006) and "Cruisazy."

The reason I even mentioned this is because I LOVE the actual winner of this year's "competition." Here it is:

Truthiness (noun): the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts; truthy, not facty.

The example they gave was in politics, but I've seen a lot of truthiness this year. I just didn't know what to call it until right now.

Want to see what else made the list? The whole article is here.

1 comment(s):

Never in my life heard of that, but as of tomorrow, i'm bringing it into my vocabulary

By Blogger Beth, at 1/07/2006 9:10 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home