Does anybody read these?

Friday, March 03, 2006

Something I don't understand...

I will never in a million years understand some people who are service industries. You know the ones I mean. The ones who act like they are doing you a big favor to help you. If it weren't for me needing the service, you wouldn't have a job. I'm the customer. I have seen it in grocery stores, fast-food restaurants, airlines, hotels, and countless other places. I guess they are forgetting why it's called the SERVICE industry. It's their jobs to serve us. A waitress isn't doing me a favor by bringing me more coffee. She's doing her job. The girl who hands your food out the window at Burger King doesn't deserve your platitudes. Yeah, you should thank her, but she's just doing her job. I guess that bothers me. I am a very friendly person. So, when I call a customer service number and ask someone how they are doing or -- God forbid! -- ask a question about something, I just expect people to be polite and answer my question. I really don't need sass. Because I could take my business elsewhere, and if too many people do that, you'll be looking for a new job. I know in the local pizza parlor, there was a girl there who was always very surly and nasty. I didn't even like to pick up lunch when she was there. Well, she cost the restaurant business, and they let her go. So, if you happen to be in the service industry and read this, just try to be a little nicer to your customers.

1 comment(s):

"If these customers would just stop bugging me, I'd be able to do my job."

I know this is the attitude of SO MANY. As someone who IS in the industry - who, wholeheartedly believes it's NEVER a question - always deliver THE BEST service you can - I know I am (sometimes) the minority. I just always try to imagine myself on the other side of the counter. How would I want to be treated? Sometimes, sure, I lose patience and can scowl with the best of them. But, the older I get, the proverbial Golden Rule applies, and I put my attitude in check, every time. Because I serve the great men & women of the armed services, I ALWAYS think, "This person helps preserve and protect the country I'm free in." It's hard, sometimes, because those service members can be pills.

Again, in times like these, I buy land on the high road...

Remember the girl at Long's Drug Store I told you about last month, LJ?

Me: "Hi Dana. Are you having a good night?"

Dana: "I feel that's a personal question and I refuse to answer."

Me: "Um...okay then."

(Dana grumbles and continues scanning my items)

Me: "Okay, thanks Dana! Have a...NIGHT."

Who are these people?

By Blogger TanteToma, at 3/03/2006 5:54 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home