Does anybody read these?

Sunday, May 14, 2006

The truth about the interview...

So, I'm sitting here watching Bridget Jones finally getting to the post I promised about yesterday's adventures.

I had a great day. I got up very early to get ready for my interview, get checked out of my hotel and make the trek to the interview for the very exciting job.

I am not about to burn bridges in a new city quite yet, so I won't tell you the name of this place. However, since there's nothing left to jinx, I will give you the details so you have some background. I interviewed yesterday to be the PR/marketing assistant for an artist and his recording studio. The competition for this position was stiff, so to make it to the interview stage really was a major accomplishment. I know that every single person who's ever been rejected for a job comes up with that same bullshit answer to make themselves feel better, but it really is true here. There was absolutely nothing that I could've done differently.

I have to tell you about this interview because it was absolutely un-fucking-believable. Honestly, I got back in my car and said, "If nothing else, this will make one helluva story on the blog." So, here's the whole gory thing, straight from the top.

My interview was at 10:20 a.m. yesterday. At 10:15, I realized I wasn't going to be on time for a variety reasons. Mapquest lied. So did the studio's Web site that said it was "right off I-65." (If "right off" is code word for 10 miles!!) And lastly, I got behind one of those "gawker tour" buses. You know, the ones that go 5 miles per hour down 2-lane roads where you can't pass and slam on their brakes so all the tourists can stick their heads out the window and take pictures of someone who looks like Faith Hill buying lip gloss? So, I gave them a ring and told them I was running late. They told me no problem, everyone always gets lost on their way here. (Maybe it's because you tell them it's "right off" I-65?) And they were running late, too. It was all good.

So, finally I arrive at the studio. I was only 3 minutes late. I was impressed. So, I get there and I can't find a parking space ANYWHERE. I see this guy who looks vaguely familiar, but I can't quite place. I'm pretty sure he was some type of celebrity. (They did tell me that they had a "big" recording session, but never mentioned who it was, so I'm still clueless.) I asked him where to park and he was very helpful, telling me just to park behind his cute little sports car.

I go inside and they tell me they are still running late and to make myself at home. I do that, and I just chit-chat with some of the folks that aren't working on the recording session and are apparently in charge of entertaining me. We're having a good time, and I don't even realize how late it is. Until the NEXT interview candidate arrives, as well. Yes, they are now running so far behind that the first interview has flowed right into not only the second interview, but the third one too.

Finally, about 50 minutes late, the person who is interviewing me comes out. He tells me to go to his office and make myself comfortable and he'll be up in a few seconds.

The whole studio was absolutely beautiful and very homey. This office was fantastic. I can't imagine how he gets any work done there. He returns after a few minutes, and the interview begins.

I get the impression he doesn't interview folks very often for professional positions. He asked several questions that were pretty much illegal, but I can see how they are questions that would make a difference in a demanding recording industry career. He asked me all kinds of questions, but some of them were a little odd.

But then again, I've concluded that celebrities (even the ones who aren't particularly popular or well-known) are odd.

This is where it gets really odd. Finally, the interview says: "Here's the situation. That lady who was here before you? (The first interview.) She is phenomenal. She's been working in this field for years. She's worked for people who are bigger than me. Frankly, I think that I'm going to hire her. I'll be in touch if anything changes, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck in your career."

And we were done.

Huh?

I've been on both sides of interviews. Yes, I understand that sometimes people fall in love with the first person they interview, and that's fine. But it's a tad bit tacky to come out and say that. And what happens if SHE doesn't think HE's phenomenal? If she's that great, she might get other offers. Then what does he do if he had the same chit-chat with everyone else?

The job wasn't meant to be. Even though it'd be an excellent place to be for my career, I'm sure there are other positions that will be just as great. I really honestly have to look at the positives on this one.

1. It was a beautiful day to get out to the countryside of Middle Tennessee.
2. I obviously did nail my cover letter like Mary Lou Retton nails the balance beam.
3. Of all the people who applied, I did get an interview.

And he did say there was a lot of interest for the position and lots of qualified applicants. It's great that people seem to finally be impressed with my professional credentials. Everyone seems to think I'll have no problems finding a job, so that's great.

It truly, honestly was a learning experience. The studio was beautiful and most people will never get to see it in their lives, so how lucky am I?

And the last thing I learned, which was absolutely worth its weight in gold:

There is absolutely, positively no way that someone could drive from Louisville to Franklin on I-65 and have no idea where Cool Springs is.

4 comment(s):

OMG, how absolutely WEIRD is that?!?!? I'm glad that you can see the positives and laugh about it, though...wow, I'm still reeling from the bluntness of it all! LOL

Crystal (ImAChesneyGirl)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2006 12:42 AM  

AMEN to that big bold last statement!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2006 4:24 PM  

Well, Kay, it cracks me up every freaking time. I just keep waiting for it not to be funny, but it ALWAYS is. Well, it's funny until I realize how sad it is.

Life's lesson: If you're going to learn everything about your secret boyfriend on the Internet, make a stop at Mapquest!!!

By Blogger Laura, at 5/14/2006 5:14 PM  

God has something FANTASTIC planned for you, Elj! I can't wait to see what it is!!! I love you....xxoo

By Blogger TanteToma, at 5/16/2006 12:44 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home