Does anybody read these?

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Why is it...

I am a great writer. I have awards to prove it. I have received the ultimate in PR recognition countless times -- that is, when a reporter uses your press release word-for-word and claims it as their own. (Yeah, it's probably not so ethical for them, but it shows that you are so awesome they don't need to change a thing.) I am good at my job. I have had folks see my work, track me down and beg me to work for them (also in a PR goddess' top-ten list). I got the only A in one of my reporting classes at the second-best journalism school in the country. I KNOW I do a good job. I KNOW I can write. Hell, this blog has had more than 7,000 visitors since September. Really, that should tell me something.

So, WHY can't I write good cover letters? I feel like every cover letter I write is complete and total shit. Now, I suspect that perhaps they are not really awful, but it is more the fact that I am my own worst critic. God knows I think my "novel" sucks, and I have people begging for the next chapter. (It's coming soon, honest.) I also wonder if my cover letter inadequacy stems from the fact that a cover letter is the place where you have to toot your own horn, and I am not very good at that. I'm working on my self-esteem, but honestly it blows most of the time.

Why the agony over my cover letter woes? Because I have found a job that I want. Wait, not want. Must have. I don't like to talk about jobs before they happen. I believe it jinxes them. (Yes, I'm Christian and I realize that is stupid, but most fears are irrational and this is one of them.) Anyhow, it's a great job. It'd be hard work, but it'd be awesome. It'd be an excellent way to make my hopes and dreams come true.

But the only way I will get this job is to nail the cover letter. I can tell from the posting and this guy's personality. I have been working on it for hours now, but I just don't feel like I've nailed it.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there seen the best cover letter ever and have pointers?

Maybe I should just send him my "novel"? Nah, that'd probably just creep him out.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home