Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Want to feel old?

Every year, this professor at Beloit College in Wisconsin surveys the incoming college class and develops a list of facts about them that helps professors understand their mindset. There are all kinds of different statistics about the cultural things that have happened in their lifetime.

It makes me feel old by making reference to things I remember quite well, like Rodney King and "Can't we all just get along?" Or another favorite: Andy Gibb has always been dead to them. (I had a HUGE crush on him!)

There are 75 things on the list, so if you'd like to feel hopelessly out-of-touch with today's generation (even if yesterday you thought 30 wasn't old), click on the link at the bottom here.

The real reason I included it is because my old-lady ass asked when "Google" became a verb earlier today. (Tangent/Sidebar: As a grammarian and a PR person, I hate when words -- especially trademarks -- become verbs. Worst word ever? "Rollerblading." Some would make the argument that having your trademarked word become a verb increases your brand recognition. But it also erodes your trademark.)

Anyhow, #19 on this list:

19. "Google" has always been a verb.

So, apparently I am distressed that Google (or "blog", for that matter) is a verb because I'm old and out of touch. Not that I don't use them, so I guess I should just shut up and quit blogging about it.

Come be an old geezer with me. The whole list is right here.

4 comment(s):

oh my...that was kind of scary..

By Blogger Kelli, at 8/23/2006 4:51 PM  

You're totally going to hate this...but...IT'S IN THE FREAKIN' DICTIONARY AS A VERB!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=google&x=23&y=16

Doesn't that just make your blood boil?

Oh, sorry! I need to cut this short; have to run and xerox some forms for work tomorrow. But first, my nose is running, so let me grab a kleenex..

By Blogger TanteToma, at 8/27/2006 1:59 AM  

Oh, and by the by. It's NOT just dictionary.com that registers it.

Bloody WEBSTER'S, too! The Elvis of the dictionaries!

Sonuva!!

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/google

By Blogger TanteToma, at 8/27/2006 2:01 AM  

That article is amazing. Did I ever mention that I was in kindergarden when you were in high school? LOVE YA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2006 10:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home