Does anybody read these?

Sunday, October 01, 2006

So smart it's stupid...

I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com. I love Amazon.com. I buy lots of stuff there. I have since they first came out. But the e-mail I got today made me chuckle a little, and then it made me sad.

You see, they base your promotional e-mails on what you got in the past. They see what you should already have and then suggest some new stuff that would complement it.

Several years ago for Christmas I bought Mike some hiking and day-trip guides for all over Michigan. I always expected they'd be used for adventures we planned together. Obviously, that never happened.

So imagine my surprise when I logged on my email today to see that Amazon thought I might want to buy a book called "Hiking Michigan." I didn't buy it because I wouldn't get much use for it in Tennessee, but I couldn't help but think that was odd after all this time.

I can imagine that some people get one of those e-mails and it really hits a nerve with them. Something so long in the past dredged up -- maybe a divorce, an illness, death. For the most part the recommendation e-mails are appreciated (although I've never used one to purchase what was suggested), but I can see how it could be a recipe for disaster.

1 comment(s):

That is so funny...reminds me of that episode of Sex and the City - where Charlotte is too embarassed to buy that self-help book in the store, so she orders from Amazon; then they send her all of the 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' promotional emails for books she might enjoy....too hilarious!!

By Blogger TanteToma, at 10/01/2006 7:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home