Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Two out of three ain't bad...



So, I have two out of three. The running joke here at the office is that the only reason I don't have a Valentine is because I didn't want to be obligated to eat anyone's high-calorie chocolate today.

I debated sending myself flowers, but I'll do that for my birthday when it's cheaper. And besides, I'm buying myself a tattoo this weekend, right?

Do you know the average person spends $100 on their Valentine? Perhaps I should buy myself a tattoo and flowers.

This lady called in for a contest on the radio and the deejay asked if she was married. She said yes. Then he said, "Do you have a boyfriend?" She chuckled and said no. She needs to read my blog. Nothing surprises me lately.

Yesterday I mentioned Atlanta. I just want to say that I am not foolish enough to think that if I find him we'd end up back together. Not at all. I'm not even sure I would ever go there again. But lately I've been thinking a lot about friendship. I think regardless of your feelings for someone at one time or another, if you have a really great friend that you adore, you shouldn't let them go. I discounted our friendship last time I saw him because I wasn't in the position to be more, and that wasn't fair. Because we did fine as friends. I know he loves Nashville. Atlanta is not far away. We can at least grab a drink sometime he's in town if he knows I'm here. I might not even get in touch with him, but at least I tried. When we were together, his favorite song was "I'm Alright" by JoDee Messina.

This is the first verse of that song:
Well it's been a long time glad to see your face
I knew we'd meet again another time another place
Can't believe it's been so many years
You'd better grab a chair and a couple of beers
Lookin' good in your three piece suit
You know I always knew you'd take the business route
You were always the one to follow the light and you look like you're doing alright

Am I wrong to want that? Well, I guess if I hear from him, I will know.

Another friend sent me a Valentine of sorts today, and it said "Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you can't get them back." I don't always think that's true. Or maybe it's just because I've been thinking about "When Harry Met Sally" ever since that stupid quiz!

I don't have much to say about Valentine's Day. On the plus side, I've spent so many alone that I don't remember what it's like to be half of something. This time five years ago, I was sitting at the airport waiting to go to London. That trip was probably the last Valentine's Day that was even worth mentioning.

I guess the best thing about working at the Land of Misfit Toys this evening is that it'll keep my mind off how much Valentine's Day sucks. Or will it? Because I'm in R-Zone tonight, and that seems to be the place that makes me saddest these days. More memories there than anywhere else.

Should be a delightful evening? Who wants to be on speed-dial to talk me off the ledge? I'll bring the Crown Royal and Merle Haggard.

Today's song of the day: "Long Trip Alone" by Dierks Bentley.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home