Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Just another Manic Monday ...

Does anyone else remember that song or am I showing how super old I am? I loved Susannah Hoffs. Whatever happened to her?

Anyway, my Monday was very interesting.

I have plenty to do at work this week, so if this is the last you see of me, don't panic. I'll be back soon enough.

Last night I'd planned to stay home and do work to catch up/get ahead, but I got an e-mail from Glen saying that Timmy was in town and playing with him, so I had to make an appearance. It was nice to see Timmy.

Before I went down there, I decided I wanted sloppy joes for supper. And then I wanted corn on the cob to go with them. So I went to the produce store. And they had green tomatoes, so I made fried green tomatoes. I gave them to Alexis since she's been asking for them. I'd have made them Saturday if I'd realized the produce store was already getting them. It's going to be a great summer!

I hadn't gotten to the bar yet when I get a text that says "Is CT at the wrestling thing?" I'd remembered Kelly had told me they couldn't come for the WWE match at the GEC because of vacation, but I figured that I'd double check. I texted Carter, but he was at work, so no wrestling for him. That's very unfortunate, because a good time was had by all on Broadway last night.

I found parking with relative ease, although I did have to pay for it, and that pissed me off. Normally on Monday I can get a spot on the street.

I arrived at Legends and hopped on a bar stool. Brandon comes over and asks what I'm drinking.

L: "I'm on the wagon, Brandon."
B: "How long for this time? A day again?"
L: "Nope. I'm going to try to not drink for 31 days."
B: "Why?"
L: "Because I can. Apparently this is how you prove you're not an alcoholic."
B: "You're not an alcoholic."
L: "I know that, but apparently everyone's not so sure. I don't have to drink. I don't even want to drink right now. That makes me not an alcoholic."
B: "OK, I only see you drunk, but I see a lot of drunks, and I'm positive you're not an alcoholic."
L: "I know I'm not, but I'm still shooting for 31 days. Just to prove a point. If I make it until my birthday I'll consider it a success."
B: "OK."
L: "But I don't need to drink. I'll take a ginger ale."

So, really I passed the test. Because honestly, I did wonder if I could go to bars and see my friends play and not drink. Or not even want to drink. And, I did. So already I'm a success. I did get a little feeling when I saw that big bottle of Crown Royal on the bar. I'm sure it was sad that it didn't make it into my ginger ale last night. But I didn't want it. I don't have to have it. No cravings. No grumpiness. No struggles about being in a bar and not drinking. Simply put, I am not addicted to alcohol.

Do I like to have fun? Yes. And nine times out of ten when I end up drunk, it's because I've deliberately set out to get drunk that evening. Is that good? Not particularly, but it doesn't happen very often. It's really reserved for special occasions like finding out the only man you ever loved likes guys or meeting someone who works for Jack Daniels and buys you free drinks. (Although honestly that JD thing kind of set the groundwork for the sobriety thing.)

Am I going to make it until the end of May? Maybe. Maybe not. Am I never drinking again? Nope.

Is it nice to take a little break to make sure you're not a drunk? Sure, it is. Was it a little odd to see how many people obviously think that I am a drunk based on my "congrats on getting sober" messages? Oh yeah.

I think the only bad part about not drinking in a bar so far has been that I was fully aware when a very old man decided to hit on me last night. When you're sober, an old man with his hand on your ass is not very amusing ...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home