Does anybody read these?

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Friends with benefits

If I'd never met Mike, I wouldn't have...
  • hiked on the Appalachian Trail.
  • driven over the Mackinac Bridge.
  • moved back to Detroit.
  • become a Michigan and UT fan.
  • gotten my picture taken in front of 1600 Peyton Manning Pass in Knoxville.
  • known about the Christmas lights on Ellen Lane.
  • gone to the last Friday night game at Tiger Stadium (yay, fireworks!).
  • picked daisies at Cade's Cove. (Shhh...don't tell, it's illegal.)
  • driven to the Vice President of the United States' house and posed for pictures in his front yard. (Could also be illegal, so shhhh on that too.)
  • ever learned so much about water pollution, dioxin, salmonella and hot tubs. (Gross.)
  • had a second thought when I throw trash in the bin that could be recycled (not like I actually recycle it, but I do have a tinge of conscience about throwing it out).
  • gotten up at 4 a.m. to go to the Thanksgiving Parade.
  • followed the Pretty Princess around America for two years.
  • learned how to make German chocolate cake from scratch.
  • owned a sweatshirt from Charlevoix, Michigan.
  • had supper at the Legs Inn.
  • had a Mr. Pibb stain on the ceiling of my first new car.
  • driven to the beginning of US-41.
  • realized that a person's life is not complete if you don't get to Fall Creek Falls at least once a year.
  • moved to Nashville.
  • ever thought I was capable of being loved. (Ironic now, isn't it?)
I know there are lots of things I'm forgetting. Hell, three years is a long time. And not a second of it was wasted, not at all.

I know that in the last week I've said that if I could I'd go back and erase the day that we met (which will be 10 years ago this week). I know I said that I felt like I wasted three years of my life I can't ever get back.

I wouldn't take back the day that I met him. Even though we both hurt each other and things didn't turn out the way I wanted at all, I wouldn't take it back. I'm a better person because he was in my life. And even though he's happy and settled and I'm single with rapidly-drying-up ovaries, I don't feel like I wasted three years of my life. I have a laundry list of major accomplishments that show our time together wasn't wasted. And besides, I wouldn't live here in Nashville if it weren't for him. That, right there, is worth its weight in gold.

I'm still a little pissed. Why shouldn't I be? I know that he couldn't help it. I know it wasn't my fault, but then I get pissed again because I realize it was his fault. It doesn't matter. I've always said there was a reason we weren't together, even though I never really expected that's what it was.

I'd just like to say I don't care what kind of James Dobson, Sean Hannity, etc. bullshit you believe, it's incredibly shitty to spout your bullshit about things not being genetic to me right now. That makes me feel worse, and that makes you an asshole.

All I know is what I know, even though it could just be one more bullshit thing that a man would say, because I'm used to that too.

At least I can feel all warm and fuzzy when I think about what my roommate said to me when I told him: "I think you're cuter, Grace Adler."

1 comment(s):

If I had never met Laura Richards I wouldn't have done half of those things either. And, believe it or not, each one of them is true. Especially the one about being loved -- you always were -- sorry I did such a bad job of showing it.

Mike

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/07/2007 7:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home