Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So, this is new...

Over the past few days, there have been a few times where I've gotten all excited because my phone has told me that I had a text message. My excitement quickly dissipates when I realize that my text message is actually ...

...

Telemarketers are annoying. Spam in my e-mail is also annoying. However, I can hang up on my phone and I can delete my email.

Sending me text messages costs me money. And that pisses me off. I'm not paying for someone to spam me. It's not happening.

I couldn't figure out why this came out of the blue. I'd never gotten spam texts before. I don't even know how spammers figured out how to send spam texts. There was even a recent TV news blurb about spam texts, so I guess it's not just me.

I did some sleuthing and find out that the new capabilities of the iPhone help people send spam texts, because computers can't do it. That's nice.

On the plus side, the iPhone is surprisingly small, and it plays music. That makes it worth it. Really.

It isn't a huge issue right now. I've only gotten two spam texts, and I'm not going to go over on texts this month. But do you really think this phenomenon is not going to grow? And what about the people who pay for each text they get, like my mom?

I really want to reply to the texts and tell the people to fuck off and double-dog dare them to spam me again, but I worry that it's like e-mail. Many times e-mail spammers don't know they have a good address until someone responds, and then that makes it worse.

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone have any tips?

And, just for kicks and giggles, I think I'm going to e-mail T-mobile and ask them what steps they plan to take to keep this from being a problem.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home