Does anybody read these?

Monday, December 28, 2009

Adios, 2009?

OK, so I have been taking a break. I'm not sure if it's helped any, but it was worth a try. Part of the problem might be that I'm busy at work and my laptop is still broken, but you'll have that.

I thought I might try to write the obligatory Christmas letter, although not send it out because that requires way too much effort. And stamps. It requires a whole lot of stamps.

2009 was not the worst year ever. And for every bad part, there were some good ones. It definitely had its ups and downs.

At the beginning of the year, I was just embarking on a new relationship with a really sweet guy. Yes, he was a bit of a redneck who worked on cars, but he treated me well, and, along with his daughter, we made a cute, little family. Well, after many long car rides on Sundays, trips to Toys R Us, a vacation in Florida and family dinners, that ended as quickly as it began. There was a lot of drama, and there are still a lot of hurt feelings. I thought I wanted nothing more than to have that back, but now I'm not so sure. So, that was neither in the win or lose category this year.

Portia P. Cat is still going strong. She didn't raise very much money for charity in the Top Cat competition, but she looked cute in her Halloween costume. She escaped for a few days, but we found her. She has a new collar in case she leaves, but I don't think she'll stray too far from home, even though Shelby can't get in her face and say "You stay here, Porsch," anymore.

OK, yeah, I am just realizing that I am super boring. This is the lamest recap of the year ever. I had a boyfriend and a kid, and they're gone. I have a cat. She ripped the Christmas tree down; that was kind of exciting.

I tried to buy a house. That went horribly wrong. So, I still live in Jane's spare room. Also lame.

I went to see the Little Singing Man in Louisville. He used to give me free tickets (OK, his best friend did), but now he is retiring, even though we're supposed to just say he's taking a break. I told him he could get me tickets to see Garth now, but I think he thinks I'm joking.

(Sidebar -- don't you think he'd DIE if he knew I called him the Little Singing Man? That's why I give him nicknames, because he googles himself and then bitches at what I say about him on my blog, so it's his own fault.)

Oh, on my trip to Florida, I went to the Keys. I finally saw Hemingway's house, and realized that if I lived there I might actually write something halfway decent. It's hard to be inspired when you can't feel your feet. And you're sober. No wonder all writers have a penchant for the drink.
I also got a hotel room right across from Lummus Beach for $55/night. That makes up for paying $15 for sunscreen and even more for a cheeseburger. Still, South Beach is awesome, even though Toma tells me that everyone hangs out in the Keys now.

Speaking of South Florida, I have a nephew -- un sobrino -- now. John Eduardo Richards Benitez -- or Juanito, as I like to call him -- was born Nov. 24. I can't wait to go visit him, and not just because my tan is starting to wear off.

Nothing too exciting going on, and probably none of this is news for those of you who read my blog. I went to visit my family last week, and we got to stay in Gary and Kori's new house, which is very nice. My parents are doing OK. Grandma is doing OK. All of Grandma's cats are doing OK.

Yes, indeed. We are super exciting people.

One thing that I learned this year is that a lot of people love me and believe in me. Some people don't believe in me as much as I thought they did, but you know what? I have a great network of people who care about me and are going to help me get through whatever life throws at me. And even though this year has had some marvelously shitty moments and I can't wait for it to be over in a few days, I am still alive and I am relatively healthy (but my fat ass is spending quality time with the treadmill starting tomorrow). There have been some dark hours in the last few months, but there have been plenty of opportunities too.

Yes, I am truly blessed. Here's hoping for an amazing 2010.

4 comment(s):

I'm hoping that you have an AMAZING year as well girl. If there was ever someone that deserves it that person would be you (and if there is enough amazingness left over then ME) Cheers to you for a kickass 2010.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/28/2009 6:22 PM  

Live, love, laugh and above all let God have His way in your life. I wish you a fabulous 2010 and look forward to some wonderful blogs!

Keystone 148

By Blogger TMc1951, at 12/30/2009 7:53 AM  

hopefully your new year will be better than the last.

By Blogger Rosalie, at 1/05/2010 3:10 PM  

I hope you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

By Blogger Daisy, at 1/10/2010 1:56 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home