Does anybody read these?

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Aim High?

I just read this article about this lawsuit filed against the Air Force saying that they are violating Academy cadets' First-Amendment rights by pushing evangelical Christianity.

I'm a pretty religious person. But I also believe that religion has its place, and the U.S. government is not one of those places. And this is not the first thing I've heard about the military. And that's wrong. It's not God's army; it's Uncle Sam's. Our government entities have no right to push any one particular doctrine on anyone. That's what the Founding Fathers expected. They traveled here to avoid a state where they were forced to conform to a certain religious belief. That being said, I think some people take it too far. Yes, little Bobby should be able to say grace -- privately -- before he eats lunch in the public school cafeteria. That's very different than forcing Muslim and Jewish military personnel to attend chapel services.

Even being Christian, but not being evangelical, I wonder how I'd be treated in a similar situation. It's definitely food for thought.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home