Does anybody read these?

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Early-October observations

First of all, today was the first day in a long time that I couldn't wear sandals and I didn't like it even though I do love my clogs. I love the fall, but wearing shoes is sometimes highly overrated. So, I'm braced for 6 months of shoes. I guess we got a few more weeks here than I would've in Michigan, and I do love fall. So...bring it on!

I try very hard not to poke fun at the contents of emails I receive. Trust me, there are LOTS of things I have bitten my tongue on. However, today I have to go there. I got an email from a friend today, who forwarded me an email from a conservative Christian group she belongs to. I read it, shook my head and then decided I HAD to say something. The email was about protesting Target Stores. Now I don't have a Target here, so nothing to protest anyway. The first part of the email talked about how Target won't allow the Salvation Army kettles anymore because of pressure from homosexual groups. Now that is absolute hooey. It goes on to say that Target doesn't offer financial support to the Salvation Army, which it does. They just don't have kettles anymore. It was an across-the-board change to their solicitation policy. Nothing else. I don't think it's in the spirit of the holiday season to ban the Salvation Army, but let's not make it into anything else. If you want to boycott Target do it because you don't like their solicitation policy, which is the issue. Don't blame it on gay people. That's insane.

The email goes on to say that Target is anti-family because of a new product line being offered by Trojan. After reading the official press release, I must say that is completely blown out of proportion. Have I mentioned yet today how much I love right-wing propaganda? Good grief.

So, I went to Sam's Club today. I am a little bummed because they do not have the low-fat chicken sausages I used to get there. So I come home and bop online and find out my company got bought by another company. And that company has the shittiest store locator I have ever seen. But I am guessing that I can't get my sausages around here anywhere. I can however buy a case of them for $54.99 online. It's not a bad deal, but what the hell would I do with a case of sausage?!? I did get some Swiss Miss fat-free fudge bars from my friend Jen's recommendation. Wow, they taste too good to be good for you!

I also bought the new book everyone's been raving about, It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken: The Smart Girl's Breakup Buddy. It's by the He's Just Not That Into You guy. I read that book a while ago, although it was recently recommended to me. LOL. Anyhow, that's next on my reading list. I don't have anyone to break up with these days, but I'm sure that it's practical advice and can probably be applied to all kinds of situations.

Recently a friend gave me Miranda Lambert's CD Kerosene. I cannot stop listening to it. What a talented young lady. Not only is her voice fantastic, but she wrote all but one song on this CD. The lyrics are amazing. A lot of insight in her 22 years. I am not a huge fan of "Nashville Star," so I am a newer fan of Miranda's. From what I've seen, I'm going to say she's the most talented person to have gotten a record deal from that show. It's not as big as "American Idol" but folks are having great success with it. Lots of new faces in Nashville. Of course, I'm very optimistic about the new season that's coming up. Can't wait to see all the bright young faces with dreams who turn out to take their chance at stardom.

Oooh, speaking of Nashville, I promised country gossip commentary. I don't have much. My heart breaks for Chris Cagle, who found out that his highly anticipated baby boy is not his baby afterall. Even if you have your suspicions, I doubt you are ever really braced for something like that. He is a tough guy and it might take a while, but he'll be OK.

Speaking of being OK, Mr. Chesney talked to Country Weekly in this week's issue. I thought it was a very nice article. I think he'll be OK too. He did keep his private things private (is that kinda like keeping "precious things precious"?) but he let us get a little peek into his life now that it's taken another dramatic turn. Of course, I think I was a bit frustrated not by what he said, but by what he didn't say.

When Mindy McCready hit Nashville, she was one of my favorite singers. I absolutely loved her first CD. But I'll confess I didn't buy the others. I don't even remember them coming out. That's really sad. I read an article today on CNN's web site, and I guess she had problems all along, but in typical Nashville fashion, I guess we didn't hear about them. Well, apparently it's been a long road for Mindy to get where she is now, which is apparently pregnant, with an abusive fiance, hooked on drugs, and homeless since her house was recently sold at an auction. I guess all that's left for those of us who were (are?) fans to do is to pray that Mindy somehow finds healing and peace. She's my age, and that is a little sobering, for lack of a better word. She went to Nashville a young kid, got caught up in her own hype and is now an E! True Hollywood Story. God bless her.

I went to Tractor Supply today to pick up some medicine and a huge jumbo bag of dog biscuits for the Sparkster. As I pulled in I was singing "Skoal Ring" at the top of my lungs. I'm sure it was a very popular song among the boys in the Tractor Supply parking lot.

Song of the Day: Standing Out in A Crowd by Trisha Yearwood. I love this CD, but this song has a special place in my heart because I completely and totally relate to it. If I could write songs or could even articulate the way I felt when I was growing up, it'd look mostly like this. I suspect it was probably pretty autobiographical for Trisha too. She is definitely my favorite singer, and it was great to see her live a few years ago. Unfortunately it doesn't look like she's getting over this way this tour. I hope she does. I'd love to see her again. I just can't believe there are folks out there who don't like her. She's very talented and her voice sounds like an angel's.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home