Does anybody read these?

Monday, October 24, 2005

My brother the crazy person...

My brother just moved to Miami. He's lived in Florida for a couple of years now, but this is the furthest south he's been. Not that it really mattered with Hurricane Wilma. Last I checked it looked like it'd hit everyone in Florida. He called me this morning during a brief minute of cell phone service. He and a friend were hunkered down in the walk-in closet of his 8th story apartment. He said the building was shaking, they could hear glass shattering outside and the power had gone out in the middle of the night. I'd asked him a few days ago if he was going to evacuate, and he told me no. He said he'd never make it out of Florida anyhow, and he was probably right. I don't think people realize how big that state is. Anyhow, I think he'd finally given evacuation some thought when his friend, who has a terminal illness, called him and said "before I die I want to ride out a hurricane, so I'm coming to your house." And he did. And apparently once they realized that they could get out of the apartment complexes magnetic doors, they went out with a video camera to see what they could see. Luckily all our friends down there are safe and sound, although one friend did look out her window to see some kid's trampoline had demolished her car. Now I know why I'm not interested in moving to Florida. I think the closest will be when I get down there this winter for a little r&r...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home