Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Congratulations, Congressman!

If you know anything about me, you know that I love government and politics, even if at times it's cut-throat and ineffectual. Politics are in my blood, and I'm always the first to volunteer on a campaign. That's most of the reason I'm in public relations. I went to journalism school to become an international correspondent. I had visions of traveling the globe covering the news. And then my first year in college, the federal student aid program was in jeopardy and I, along with several of my classmates, started fighting to ensure we could continue our educational pursuits. I got involved with politics, and I never turned back. This was the same time that I took Issues in American Politics with Dr. Henderson. I knew that no matter what I did in life, being objective and nonpartisan was probably going to be a challenge. Luckily Dr. Cambridge told me that the journalism school offered a public relations tract. Not only could I still be a writer and work with my journalism colleagues, but I could probably even combine PR and politics. I did that for a while, but I don't think I could ever do campaigns or government as my full-time job. The back-room stuff gets frustrating and you wonder if you truly can do anything to change the world.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I love government. I did a stint with Congressman Strickland's office while I was in college.

But my favorite elected official whom I have met (and I've met TONS from the president to city council folks) is Congressman John Dingell. He was my Congressman growing up, as I can probably safely say he was for MOST people who've ever lived in Southeast Michigan. He's been in Congress a million years (OK, only 50) and he is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's also someone I wouldn't want to cross. He's done more for Michigan than anyone I can think of. He hasn't let the rest of America down either. He and his wife Debbie are very civic-minded and his children are all involved in public service, as well.

Today John Dingell celebrates 50 years as a U.S. Congressman. Only two men have served longer than he has. Some of his staffers told me a few years ago that the only way he'll leave Congress is in a pine box, and I believe them.

Here is the Monroe Evening News' story on this staple in American politics and this momentous occasion.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home