Does anybody read these?

Friday, December 16, 2005

New resume, new possiblities, new start...

So, I had a burst of creativity last night, and stayed up half the night working on my resume. While I'm going to be dragging all day today, after a few minor edits this morning, I feel like I have a real whiz-bang product. Fingers crossed that I can manage to get a few interviews. I also think that I'm going to try this new cover letter strategy that I read in one of my resume guides. Basically, the concept is to take highlights from the job posting and demonstrate examples where you've done that. I think I'd take a second look if I were hiring. Tried to put on my hat of all the years of hiring and supervising VISTAs and interns.

So, here I am with a brand-new resume and a stack of job leads. I feel like I have the whole world in front of me. I am really excited to get a new job and move to Nashville and start working on implementing the rest of my career plans, with the eventual goal of opening my own PR agency. I just feel like the possibilities are endless at this point. I am definitely trying to make limes into margaritas with this whole situation. And really I'm not shocked. I never expected to say here long-term, so I'm not devastated that it's just about time to move on. Heck, I've already had a few people invite themselves to come visit to a home that doesn't exist yet, and I am 100% OK with that. The only thing worse, I think, than only having a cat and coming home and feeling all alone is to live with your family and come home and feel all alone. I have that here. I'm miserable because I don't want to be here. Time to make changes.

Nashville is 110% about making new starts. It's about becoming that person that you've always wanted to be. It's about finding all your hopes and dreams. It's about charting a good course for the future. It's about being happy.

So, yeah, life's a little scary right now, but I feel extremely empowered because I have a plan and I'm working toward making it reality.

Oh, and if anyone is still reading this and likes to critique resumes, drop me a line. I could definitely use a second (or third or fourth or fifth) opinion.

4 comment(s):

LoL I'm fairly new to your blog but I felt a little twinge in my heart when I saw that you were going to be moving to Nashville. My first thought was that I would miss you...then I realized A) I don't really "know" you and B) I'm sure you would continue to write in your blog. It's amazing how connected you feel to other people by this silly monitor...

By Blogger one4JC, at 12/16/2005 5:48 PM  

You just made my day. This has been an amazingly shitty day (you'll see...coming to a blog near you very soon) and you just brought a smile to my face. No, my friends, I am not going anywhere. Well, that's a lie. I am going to Nashville. Maybe sooner than I planned. But I am positive that I'm still going to blog. I like it.

Now in real life I am very much going to miss the kids in my Sunday School class. :-(

By Blogger Laura, at 12/16/2005 6:22 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger TanteToma, at 12/17/2005 10:56 AM  

Laura, just remember 'the only thing constant is change.'

REACH FOR THE STARS, LADY!! You already possess everything you need to become great. Godspeed.

Go get' em. xxoo

By Blogger TanteToma, at 12/17/2005 10:59 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home