Does anybody read these?

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Have y'all missed the Church posts?

Observations from St. Ann today:

Only in Nashville would a church choir (especially a Catholic church choir) have someone playing the upright bass.

When I was in grade school, Sr. Virginia gave us all "the talk" about what was and wasn't appropriate attire for church.

Basically what Sr. Virginia told us was that our attire was part of our reverance to God. We should try to wear the best clothes that we have possible, but not let not having good clothes keep us from going to church. Then she said she knew that we all had something better than jeans because she saw us in uniforms everyday.

To this day, I rarely wear jeans to Mass. I can only think of two, maybe three, times I have at Holy Cross, and I am in the choir loft and no one actually ever sees me. And trust me, "dress clothes" are overdressed there.

So, I guess I am perplexed when I see how many kids let their kids "dress down" for church. Surely your child has one pair of khakis and a dress shirt that isn't wrinkled. If not, invest in it and save it for church and the family Christmas photo. There is no need for children to wear jeans and tank tops or tee shirts and athletic shorts to church. And I know to this day my mother would stop me if I tried to go out of the house in that.

That being said, I guess part of me feels like if a young person gets to church and does feel the need to wear jeans and a tank top and flip-flops then perhaps it's just better that they are there at Mass. Because most of their classmates aren't.

But I'm still not going to wear anything that my mother or Sr. Virginia would be ashamed to see me in.

Last story from Church. I just love Fr. Breen. I told him I was telling you all about this.

This week Fr. Breen gets a call from People Magazine. At first he thought it was a joke. Why would People call him? Well, he kept asking questions, and the woman was a reporter from People. Turns out the hot new rumor was that Nicole Kidman attended St. Ann's. And, of course, you'll remember that there was another rumor that Keith and Nicole set up the whole Australia thing as a decoy and were going to get married in Nashville after all the press went to Australia. Well, we now know all that to be untrue. But what a funny thing to think of Keith and Nicole and their fancy-schmancy nuptials down at our little church on Charlotte Ave. So, needless to say, Miss Kidman -- or I guess I should say Mrs. Urban -- is not a member of my church.

And speaking of Keith and Nicole, I thought I'd post a picture of the happy couple. They look so in love and their story is so moving. They are truly soulmates if I've ever seen them. Two people both from Australia. Both end up in the states as entertainers and meet at a celebrity dinner. They fall in love and then a little over a year later they are back in Australia to unite as one with family and friends. How could you not be inspired by that? They just might make a fan of me yet. I'm just wondering what Keith sang for her at the reception...

This is their official wedding photo from Reuters. If nothing else their babies will have some long, beautiful hair.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home