Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fueling up

I had to get gas today. Two odd things about my gas-pumping experience.

First of all, I always fill up, regardless of cost. Unless gas is cheap, I usually drive until I barely have a drop left. Then I fill up. I reset my tripometer and make a mental note of my fuel efficiency. Every time. I never go and get a couple of bucks to get me to my next stop. I always reset my trip. Do other people ALWAYS fill up when they get gas? Is anyone else a little OCD about seeing how many miles per gallon they are getting.

Second odd thing. I don't back up at the gas station. Ever. You will never see me put my car in reverse and back up. Why? Because once in high school (yes, 20 million years ago), I was backing up and some doofus came speeding in to the gas station and slammed into my car and did $3000 worth of damage (in 1994 dollars, no less!). Although he was cited for the accident (although I hadn't actually started backing up, but he told the cops he saw my back-up lights and that I "backed right into him"), my dad still gave me this huge lecture about backing up at the gas station. This lecture included lots of yelling because it was really my mother's car. Anyhow, to this day I am terrified of backing up at gas stations. I will sit there and wait for the car in front of me to leave before I'll back up.

In a slightly-related side note, I'm also terrified of car washes because I got trapped in one in high school. It was traumatic, and it wasn't until this year that I could drive through them again, and most of them are still too scary. And my friends know that I always talk to one of them or have one of them in the car with me when I go through.

Anyone else have any bizarre driving habits or car phobias?

2 comment(s):

YES! I do. I backed into someone in a mall parking lot while (too fast) backing up in high school. I HATE crowded parking lots now to this day. I also tapped (and I DO mean tap) the brakes during an ice storm and slid into a volvo and not have an ice phobia.

By Blogger Unknown, at 3/13/2007 3:34 PM  

I once did 2 360s on US-23 in the middle of Ann Arbor at 7 p.m. when I hit a patch of ice, and I DON'T have an ice phobia. Hmmmm ... that's odd.

By Blogger Laura, at 3/13/2007 3:43 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home