Does anybody read these?

Friday, March 13, 2009

Big deal

I paid my car off today. Well, my old car. My new car will be paid off many, many years from now.

But it still feels good. I feel like I did something very grown-up today.

Since I got the new car, I have been insurance shopping, because the number I was given by progressive to insure both cars was frightening. I had finally decided on Geico, who could increase my coverage and insure both cars for just $5 more per month.

So, this morning when I got paid, I called Geico and signed up with them. Then I called Progressive to break the news to them.

Now, I don't know if they just wanted to make a deal or if this is for real, but Progressive went back and said I never should've had an increase for that accident I had in 2006 and readjusted my insurance rates to reflect that. Then she told me that because they never should've done that in the first place, she was going to go ahead and put a credit for overcharging me for the last two years on my account. And, my insurance is going to be $12 less per month.

Even though most days I think I am a complete nutto to buy a new car in this economy, my new car saved me hundreds of dollars today. That was nice.

I'm trying to shave expenses where I can. I don't have the heart to cut off my cable, and the only way I can whittle my phone bill down is to text less (!!!), but I'm doing what I can.

I need some really good advice on maintaining a grocery budget now that I seem to have acquired a family.

I have to work tonight, and I am sad that I won't get to see Shelby until tomorrow afternoon.

2 comment(s):

Good for you Laura on paying off your car, and congrats on getting an even better insurance deal with your existing carrier.

As far as groceries you and me both and I do not even have a little one.
I make a list and someone told me to shop the outside aisles first. That is where the necessities items are, the first 3 aisles on the left and right.
I will say in Winn Dixie and Publix I have found this true.
In Walmart Superstore not as much.
I go thur my fridge and make meal ideas for the week since I am pretty much gone from 6A.
That way I have the mini meals on the road with me and my main meals at the house to get.
I snack less and spend less at DD or Mc'd and my ice coffees.
Have a good one
Rosi

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2009 11:28 AM  

the best way to cut back on grocery shopping that I have found is to make a mock menu for the week or two weeks and then make your shopping list. stick to the list and you will spend less. I usually shop two weeks at a time so I make mine for two weeks. You don't have to stick to the menu but you know what you have the ingredients for for the next two weeks.

By Blogger rosalie, at 3/21/2009 10:04 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home