Does anybody read these?

Friday, February 27, 2009

Buyer's remorse?!

So, the more I think about it, the more pissed off I get about my new car.

The car itself doesn't piss me off. It's lovely. The whole process just pisses me off.

It's all done, and I need to get over it, but I want to vent just a little bit.

You see, the main reason that I wanted to buy a new car was to help out General Motors, because I'm from Detroit and General Motors paid for pretty much everything I had for the first 25 years of my life.

So, I headed to the Chevy dealership to buy a new car. Notice I said "new." I did not say "certified pre-owned."

But when I got there, they acted like they didn't want to sell me a new car. They told me I couldn't have afforded it, although I probably could've. Because I got a higher interest rate with my used car, I'm pretty sure it was a wash money-wise. So, even though it's certified pre-owned and it has a good warranty and such, I'm sitting here worried about why someone returned it and wishing I'd bought a new one. I can't do anything now, but it just really pisses me off.

Even though I love Detroit, and I'd do anything to save the city that holds most of my fondest memories, I don't want to hear General Motors bitch and whine about not making any money anymore. Because I was perfectly willing to give THEM thousands of my hard-earned dollars for a new car, and their salespeople chose to strong-arm me into buying a used car, where the dealership and some dude named Chad will make more money than GM does. Whatever.

I like my car. I really do. Ask me again when the transmission blows or the power windows go out, but right now I like it.

So, I seriously thought about taking it back after work today with my 72-hour buyer's remorse period. I didn't really do my homework very well, because the Chevy dealership down the street from work does have one 2008 NEW one left. But, at least I didn't really pay for someone else's $9,000 in depreciation. I just need to work hard to get my credit up, pay down on the principal and refinance the loan as soon as I can. I need to stop sitting here thinking that it's going to take me that long to pay the loan and that it's going to cost me that much money, because I am going to drive myself crazy.

And I did help the economy (and I will everytime I need new 17" tires, holy shit!), even if my beloved Generous Motors lost $9.6 billion last quarter.

4 comment(s):

I am confused, you bought a new car or a pre owned?
The dealership was not wanting to sell you a car?
Did you trade in your old car or sell it and use that as a down payment?
I understand if you do not have the greatest credit no one does these days.
I would think the dealerships would want business.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/01/2009 11:55 AM  

I wanted a new car. They sold me a pre-owned one. I kept my old car. I had planned to use the GM discount on a new car as my down payment, but then I didn't get one, so I financed the whole thing. I guess that's part of why I'm grumpy.

Turns out this same dealership did the same thing to one of my friends. Guess I know where my next car won't be coming from.

By Blogger Laura, at 3/02/2009 8:03 AM  

WOW.....that is one messed up dealership.
I am surprised they did not want a trade in.
My Honda is a 2001 and I will keep it til it hits over 100,000....god willing.
Financing is scary it adds another bill every month. You had just finished paying off the other car.
It will work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/02/2009 11:05 AM  

My car didn't make sense to trade. They wouldn't have given me a fair price and Chris can use it to take Shelby around. At least until I need to sell it or whatever.

I just think of it as continuing my old bill for another several years plus a little bit extra. It looks like my insurance will only go up $5/month so that's good.

By Blogger Laura, at 3/02/2009 11:13 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home