Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This mommy thing...

So, the other day NPR did a whole segment on mommy bloggers and how you can make money at it and all that jazz. I'm not really surprised at it, as I have tried to follow a few mom blogs and they seem to have tons of followers. And while I think moms and their daily trials and tribulations are very interesting, I'm just not feeling like I fit into the mom world.

And there doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a step mom world. I hear there are step mom blogs, but I am not having much luck with the ol' Google search. It could be partly because no one actually knows how to spell step mom. Or is it stepmom?

Anyhow, I don't have any desire to become a stepmom blogger. I've often toyed with the idea of coming up with some sort of theme for my blog so that I might be able to get some sort of swag or compensation for my writing, and I always get back to the premise that perhaps my writing is not actually worth free widgets or a little cashola. I know I probably shouldn't feel that way, but I've never felt like a great blogger. I'm just some crazy woman who rambles on about her life, and that suits me just fine. I've never been one who's been good with keeping up on a diary or anything, so the blog is nice. Because unlike my little wirebound, fiberboard notebook I have for diary-like purposes, people leave comments and send e-mails when I'm too quiet here. And I spend nine hours a day in front of a computer and can usually spare a "sanity break" here and there.

I still need to find some people who want to do playdates on Saturday (most of these people in the "mommy world" have their kids all the time and want to do playdates on Wednesdays when a) I have no child and b) I am working). And really, I just want to know if anyone thinks Disney on Ice is age appropriate for a 2 1/2 year old. I think I was older when I went, but I do remember it was one of the best nights of my life. I went with my mom and Cinderella signed my program. I think maybe I was in school already, because I do believe I took the program to show and tell. And since the nuns weren't big fans of show and tell, that means I must've been in Kindergarten.

Does anyone still read this? Does anyone have kids? Anyone know how old you should be for Disney on Ice?

2 comment(s):

Hi LJ...my name is Barb and I came across your blog because I enjoyed your posts on the kennyforums website. Anyway, I'm a Mom of an 8-yr. old boy. My family is full of auto racing fans, and we've been taking my son to NASCAR and local dirt track races since he was 2. He loves it and was always well-behaved. My best advice to you is "it depends on the child". If you think she would have a good time, I say give it a try. Don't let people tell you "she's too young" or "2 1/2 yr. old's shouldn't do that". Kids can't be generalized that way. I feel strongly that kids are little individuals and should be treated that way. You can't generalize them into age-appropriate groups. I think you should go and have a good time. Explain to her your good memories of Disney on Ice. She'll love hearing about when you were a kid. Above all, trust your gut instinct. You don't have to be a "birth" Mom to know what's right; loving a child means so much more than just giving birth to them. Enjoy!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/29/2009 12:26 PM  

as long as shelby can hold the attention long enough to sit through it I say take her because she will enjoy it. most kids her age don't like to be stationary for that long though

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/01/2009 11:14 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home