Does anybody read these?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We are the World

So, I finally broke down and watched the new We are the World video.

First off, I have to agree with everyone (and by "everyone," I mean just about everyone in the free world) who said they shouldn't have remade it. Some things are better left untouched. This is why whenever they do those "Best Songs in the History of Country Music" concerts, George Jones always sings "He Stopped Loving Her Today" himself. Seriously, who has the balls to cover that?

With all that in mind, here are my observations.

The good:
I loved the part where they showed Michael and Janet was singing his part. I cried real tears.
The rap at the end. Maybe it's because it was new. Maybe it's because it has will.i.am and LL Cool J. I'm not sure. I liked it.
I also think that Lil Wayne did a good job with Bob Dylan's part. Now I know he was worried because he can't sing (and he really can't), but honestly, neither can Dylan, if you think about it.
Jennifer Hudson. I love her. She's a class act and pure talent.
Jamie Foxx rocking the Stevie Wonder part. Very cool.

OK, now the bad:
The whole premise. Some things are just untouchable.
Not including any of the artists from the previous version (although the inclusion of MJ in video clips rocked it. Probably my favorite part. Wonder why?)
Miley Cyrus. Celine Dion. Jennifer Nettles. And, even Fergie. Yes, Fergie. Awful. Pure awful. (The good thing about Miley oversinging is that maybe she'll blow her vocal cords out soon and have a short career.)

Lastly, this is neither good nor bad but when I saw Gladys Knight on there, I couldn't believe that she wasn't on the original. And I can't believe how much Mary J. Blige looks like a young Gladys Knight when she wears sunglasses.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home