Does anybody read these?

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Great plans

I'll never forget when I decided to make one of my less-smart career moves in life.

I had a great interview, and I had run into my friend Lisa in the locker room at the gym. I told her what I was thinking about doing.

And she said, "Oh, I don't know, Laura. Those people have a reputation for getting a great idea, doing it for about a year, running out of money and steam, and then shutting the project down."

About halfway through my tenure there, I realized that I was their next big project. And, they were running out of steam, which was making it hard for me to find money.

About a year after my conversation with Lisa in the locker room at the gym, I was having breakfast with my boss.

I don't really need to tell you how the story ends.

As I've had 24 hours to reflect on the hell that is my life at this current moment, I realize what has gone wrong.

Thomas has a good heart, but he's one of those people who gets excited about stuff. He got excited about moving out on his own. And it was fun until he realized he had to do his own laundry, clean up after himself and pay money every month for rent and utilities.

And eventually he ran out of steam. So, he said he ran out of money.

I understand his family is having financial troubles, and that sucks. But after nine months and who-knows-how-many-thousands of dollars, I can tell you that the only thing I've learned in therapy was that it isn't your job to save the world. It's no one's job to save anyone but themselves.

And you have to let them do it.

So, live and let learn. I am very thankful to have an amazing friend who happens to have a kind heart and a nice-sized bank account who totally bailed me out yesterday. And I can live like a pauper for a few months and I will manage until Michelle gets there. I may see if I can trim the bills. I may see if i can cut off the home phone and the alarm system, although that scares me with just two girls living there.

In the meantime, if you know anyone who needs a bedroom in a really nice house with two really cool girls, give them my number...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home